United States Third Presidential Debate - Page 37 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

United States Third Presidential Debate

Ah, but I have convince the public give up their rights to elections and all that other silly democratic stuff. Just like the original dictators - who were chosen for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggie2 View Post
Ah, but I have convince the public give up their rights to elections and all that other silly democratic stuff. Just like the original dictators - who were chosen for the job.
Please define 'original dictator' in a way that doesn't ignore thousands of years of pre-history while still allowing you to definitively state your above claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Please define 'original dictator' in a way that doesn't ignore thousands of years of pre-history while still allowing you to definitively state your above claim.
The word originated as the title of a magistrate in ancient Rome appointed by the Senate to rule the republic in times of emergency.

And yet, in its modern usage, describes a position of power that undoubtedly existed far, far earlier in human history.

Just like the original dictators - who were chosen for the job. To me his context made it clear which meaning he was referring to.

There's a rather large difference between 'original [individuals to whom we would refer, today, as dictators]' and 'original [individuals referred to as dictators in their own time]', and the distinction was not clear in the original posting.

I knew instantly with the original and also that they were chosen. Roman dictators were the only ones that could possibly have fit. But then again I was just reading an article about Rome Total War 2 so perhaps it was in my brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
I was just reading an article about Rome Total War 2 so perhaps it was in my brain.
This seems far more likely than any other theory that pops to mind.

The first thing that popped into my head was the Tyrants of Greece, who were also elected, before I remembered the origin of the word dictator.