---ABCD-
--------
1-|****|
2-|*zZ*|
--|--*-|
3-|*Ng*|
4-|*G*B|
--|*---|
The line between lines 2 and 3 is not a five foot space, it simply denotes where the door is. Lines 2 and 3 are adjacent, have a wall separating them and a door where the * is.

G tries to tumble through to D2, moves through C3, C2 to do it.

g is an ally, Z is an enemy. When he fails his tumble check he fails to enter the enemy area. I'm pretty sure he falls prone in C3, which is occupied by an ally.

Does this happen, it doesn't make sense for him to move past his ally to me, fail to pass the enemy and bounce back to B4.

So, he's stuck as being prone in C3, and has to use a movement action to move out the square and that will provoke an AoO, right?

This is for D&D 3.5 btw.

Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Skill
DC 25Tumble at one-half speed through an area occupied by an enemy (over, under, or around the opponent) as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you stop before entering the enemy-occupied area and provoke an attack of opportunity from that enemy. Check separately for each opponent. Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.
Failing the Tumble Check does NOT cause one to fall prone. Reference All About Movement, Part 6 for the answer to the rest:
Quote:
Ending Your Movement: When you stop moving, you must be in a space that can hold you. Sometimes, it's possible to move through a space where you cannot stop. For example, you can move through an ally's space, but you can't stop there. If you ever accidentally end your move in a space where you cannot stop, you go back to the last space along your movement route that can hold you. Returning to that space doesn't count as part of your movement.
From a descriptive standpoint, you might describe the sequence of events like, "G attempts to tumble past Z, but his foot slides in the blood on the floor and loses his balance. As he falls backward Z takes a swing..."

I hate this answer, as this is the answer I found when I looked at it. But it makes no sense for the character to rubber band... (I move up, ooops, get an AoO, guess I'll move back) to me... but I don't wanna houserule it if that's the rules...

I'm wondering if I'm remember some 3.0 thing, or an article from Sage Advice in a Dragon that I don't wanna bother to find right now. (I asked a friend on the phone and he reiterated what I said without any prompting from me.... so I dunno. Maybe we taught each other the wrong rules.)

You could rule that G or g gets moved one square to the right instead. However, the mechanic is nearly the same: G cannot move through Z's square and he cannot stop his movement in g's square. G must go somewhere. Whether it's backward or to the side doesn't seem to me to make much difference.

Rather than think of this in mechanical terms, think of it cinematically:

Jackie Chan tries to tumble past the hulking brute that's blocking the door, but simply bounces off the slab o' beefcake, and staggers back a step. Brutus takes advantage of Jackie's momentary distraction and takes a swipe at him.

I think it makes a little more sense that way.

I'll buy that he can move into a legal square he can move in afterwards... I guess it's the least headache I can give myself.