The Top 5 party wipers in D&D - Page 15 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The Top 5 party wipers in D&D

Command Undead is a necromancy spell and has no [mind-affecting] tags like a true enchantment spell.

The wizard is not subject to the babble just from casting the spell.

Rena. That's not how saves work.

Making the babble save throw has nothing to do with YOUR charisma. You use your will save (which is wisdom based). It means that the ability scales with charisma bonus. So, if the allip gains or loses charisma, the save DC changes appropriately.

Just like saves vs sorcerer spells are charisma based. And wizards intelligence based. Change the caster's stat, change the DC.

And I already explained the wisdom damage thing. Although that's only an "argument" thing. Command Undead isn't truly a "control" spell. It's the equivalent of Charm. NOT dominate. And therefor isn't actually mind control.

Although... it *is* only, basically, "charm undead"... and that means free will isn't negated... and Allips are, literally, insane. That's their whole thing. They're deranged and nonsensical enough that they literally drive those around them insane.

... But they'll trust you and be your friend if you cast the spell... so all you have to do is convince them that Big T is the source of their suffering.

... This DOES have another advantage, as well... because even after the spell wears off, there's no reason to believe that the Allip will suddenly forget your well argued explanation of how that dimestore godzilla ripoff was responsible for all its suffering.

So you may not need to recast the spell, ever. You just have to be *really* convincing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishra View Post
If Big T is running from the wizard, I think we won already.
Actually, there's nothing stopping the Big T from killing the Wizard whilst the Allip is killing him. The Wizard is only L3 and has to be close enough for the Allip to hear him, after all. However, that's by the by. Read the rest of the thread - you may have "won" already, but the hundreds of villagers the Big T kills on the way won't think like that. So what if it can't kill you without dying itself? There are whole continents for it to destroy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
It will auto-fail the save, if it's still controlled when you cast the spell.
If your DM allows that, more power to you. Personally I would never allow someone to be forced to fail a save, but in this case especially it's more than dubious. The Allip only interprets your instructions "favourably" - at the very least you need an opposed Cha check and at worst, recasting Command Undead counts as "threatening" and so would break the first spell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
And Big T isn't that hard to keep up with. It's called a horse. If you can find an allip, you can find a horse.
Allips can ride horses now?

Of course, whatever holes there are in the theory of a L3 Wizard being able to kill Mr T, a L5 Wizard should be able to do it. Or a L10 one. Let alone a L20 one, or a L20 party. The whole "yeah but it razed Tokyo whilst you were summoning Allips" does still apply, as that's the point of the Tarrasque (something most people seem happy to forget, conveniently), though by L20 even that becomes less of a deal to the well-prepared party (Reverse Gravity - bam!).

Fire Giant, Sorc NPC, Divide by Zero Spell, Cuckoo Birds, Fluffy Bunny, Mad Wraith, Dire Bear, Frozen Water, Ambush Vine.

These are all the causes of various defeats in my experience. Granted, I was the Sorc NPC and I survived the Cuckoo's, the Fluffy Bunnies, the Ambush Vine, and the Divide by Zero Spell, but nevermind that. The rest all occured while I was DM'ing. EDIT: The Fire Giant Killed my Sorc

So to name a few wipes in no particular order, there have been many more.

Aboleths
Fighting themselves
Enemy blasty spellcaster
Fireworks (Yea lets go add a necklace of fireball to a barrel of gunpowder)
Dragons
T-Rex
Insanity trap
Balors
Dragons
Shadows
T-Rex
Drowning trap (Only guy who could bust open the door had been Con drained so he couldnt hold his breath)
Dragons
Nightshades

I know that some dragons are under CR'd but every time I've encountered a dragon in the party we've managed to slay it; albeit just barely. I've only ever killed 1 player with a dragon as a GM. My group has never had any issue with a single creature in combat though.

I would have killed my party with a group of three... Christ, what were they called? Hold on.

These things.

They refused to move out of line, even when blasted repeatedly with a cone attack that did 4d6 damage. Seriously. I think they were level 6.

Of course, that might have been unintentional revenge for the the party OTKing a boss of mine. It's Pathfinder, the boss is an Evil Outsider, and two of the four are Paladins. It wasn't quite fair to begin with.

They are only CR 3. But as was said - they stuck close / in 'line'. And they have a 3 / day 4d6 Splinter Spray attack. So if they were non-strategic for 3 rounds and stayed clumped together. 9 x (4d6) (Reflex 14 for half) could do some damage. That is fairly remarkable. And shows how sometimes parties surprise GMs with their resourcefulness and effectively lowering the CR of encounters through strategy. And sometimes surprise and amaze GMs in how they effectively increase the CR of encounters. Often in ways that seemed logical or even strategic at the time. (For the players and/or the PCs.)