The Top 5 party wipers in D&D - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The Top 5 party wipers in D&D

The Top 5 party wipers in D&D

Dear fellow GMs and players. As it badly looks like a wipe is about to happen in one of my campaigns, let's make a top list of party wipers in our D&D campaigns. If you have wiped as a player or a GM, let me know what did the trick (monster name, trap, etc.). I'll start the list and update this opening post:

Mind Flayer (3)
Dragon (3)
Lich (2)
Beholder (2)
Ghoul/Ghast (2)
Aboleth (2)
Drow (1)
Evil Spellcaster NPC (1)
Backstabbing Rogue PC (1)
Giant Praying Mantis Horde (1)
Wraith (1)
Falling Damage (1)
The Crab (1)
Assassin NPC (1)
Friendly Fire (1)
Manticore (1)
Ogre (1)
Wyvern (1)
Housecat (1)
Owlbear (1)
Goblin (1)
Ooze (1)
Doppelganger (1)

Diplomacy checks against very dangerous creatures can be nasty. One of my players was trying to recruit a massive black dragon to the party's cause, as the dragon's enemy was also their enemy. He rolled a two on his first diplomacy check against the dragon. I cringed and said that while the dragon didn't seem pleased with the man's words, he'd give him another chance. So the player rolled a second diplomacy check. Natural one.

Thus, the dragon ate him.

Lichs are bad, I admit, but there may not be anything worse than a failed Climb, Swim or Diplomacy check at exactly the wrong time.

It depends on how properly-played the enemies are by the DM. Most of the Big Bads I've seen, creature-wise, were your typical video game weakness of repetition.

I find creatures that can throw surprises at you to be the most TPK-able. These are numbered, but really not in any order.
1. Mind Flayers. I've seen it in two different tabletop occasions.
2. Liches. Always with some surprise you haven't prepared for, and generally one-shot deaths upon party members.
3. Aboleths. Super Saiyan Mind Flayers, basically. I've never seen a party defeat a well-NPC'd Aboleth. Ever.

Ever fail a save against a Beholder? There goes your last 2 years of RP

A large number of giant, but harmless, bug monsters that are not hostile and exist only as decoration.

Rest assured- your party will attack them and die.