Imp Reviews: Gantz, the Manga - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

Imp Reviews: Gantz, the Manga

Imp Reviews: Gantz, the Manga

So...

Gantz is this dark action/sci-fi manga that's all about people killing aliens and getting killed in turn, as part of some fate of the after-life.

Sounds like my kind of read, so I'm gonna dive into this.

NOTE: I won't bother with pictures. Also, this comic (er... manga), contains nudity, so... yeah. If you're young and you want to read this,
Masura says "I... I hate this!" I don't want to live on this planet anymore!
be warned of that.
Lul hopeless psychotic violence!
Yep.

----
I'm gonna talk about this in volumes. Each volume is ten chapters. Chapters are incredibly short, since they represent issues. So, enjoy my narration and opinions, blah blah.

Okay, whatever, let's get started!

I liked Gantz despite its grotesqueness up until "Phase 2" started and then I just didnt want to read it anymore

One of the great things about manga is also the worst thing: the mangaka usually has complete authority to do whatever they want with it. As a society that pays lip service to creative license, this sounds great, but artists are often emotionally unstable. Manga, if they go on long enough, often go off the deep end when their mangaka has a nervous breakdown.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is actually a good example of this, even if it was an anime first.

When I got to Phase 2 of Gantz, I had already been reading manga for a few years, and I was aware of the 'psychotic break' phenomenon. I instantly became convinced that the mangaka had lost his frickin' mind.

Nothing I've seen since has dissuaded me from that opinion.

So far, I've read most of the chapter, I say most because I will exclude the last two, which I haven't had time, yet. There are some things that might be worth mentioning now.

First, the girls that usually appear half naked are there to entertain you, so don't suffer if you won't see them during the chapters, albeit you will see many more things concerning girls.
If you do keep reading this manga, never understimate the power of seemingly unimportant characters like the hobo that appears. Also, I would say, based on where you complain on the actions they take when saving the hobo, that probably you wouldn't think clearly what to do when you are facing someone that may die horribly like, being crushed by a train. Also, I'd recommend you read the whole volume 1 before commenting it, maybe you would understand many things better that way, like motivations, background, etc.

Actually I read all of volume 1 and am currently on chapter 14. I'm revisiting the chapters I've already read for the purpose of writing this review.

EDIT: Does japan have no creative licensing laws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
One of the great things about manga is also the worst thing: the mangaka usually has complete authority to do whatever they want with it. As a society that pays lip service to creative license, this sounds great, but artists are often emotionally unstable. Manga, if they go on long enough, often go off the deep end when their mangaka has a nervous breakdown.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is actually a good example of this, even if it was an anime first.

When I got to Phase 2 of Gantz, I had already been reading manga for a few years, and I was aware of the 'psychotic break' phenomenon. I instantly became convinced that the mangaka had lost his frickin' mind.

Nothing I've seen since has dissuaded me from that opinion.
I've read up to issue 100, and I actually find that not hard to believe.

If writing/drawing gantz was the mangaka (whatever that means) only job, it's weird to think about what they were going through at the time. Seriously, Gantz is just so incredibly violent. Feeling like you need to draw and tell that story is punishing to the psyche...

I've decided to take some notes, before writing the rest of this review. That way, it'll come out more concise. So, stay tuned, fellas.

Cant say Ive ever read the manga, or even watched the entirety of the show, but the 'gantz abridged series' by 'Hbi2k' on youtube is hilarious in my opinion.

Quote:
After much thought on this matter (not really; or half thought, so it goes), I'm convinced that artists simply run out of good ideas and want to terminate the series. It isn't the money or the spirit that encourages them anymore and they gotta deflate. Otherwise, they won't get that much desired mental health break.