Literary abuse en masse - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

Literary abuse en masse

Literary abuse en masse

I thought we'd start a description of what I think this will look like. I don't like highly structured formats, so I think we should start off with a definitive, yet wandering beginning to a story. One that can branch out in many ways.

Until we see how this plays out, we can just let our minds wander. Don't fight the last poster, try to merge with him or her, at least as you start. The idea of this should be that we end up with fair coherence and accountability.

I'll post a thread starting one. Then, I'll have a mass post wherein I take each post and add it to the last, creating a flowing document. I won't change anything, and we'll see how that works out. I'll add your username to the beginning of each portion you post, however, so we have a placeholder and index for discussion later.

I'll also include a suggestion thread and discussion thread, we'll see how it works out.

I'm infinitely more impulsive and less organized than WonderWoman in these things, but you may find that more comfortable, to some degree.

A suggestion was made to start another story. This will be a more typical D&D type of story, giving more of us the opportunity to participate. There are probably a lot of you who would feel a little better with that. They'll both be running at the same time, so just chime in when you feel the urge.

But with the holidays, it may not get started until early next week. Torrential rain has our erosion and sedimentation system groaning, and construction has stopped. Time to care for another fantasy world.

Hmm. I hadn't even considered having multiple stories going on at the same time. Yet it is so simple and perfect it makes total sense. Maybe even have three or four separate stories and we can each chime in, or not, as the desire arises.

Is Agricolus the only one "authorized" to start one of these collaborative writings, or can anyone start one up? I'm looking to just sort of freestyle some writing. Nothing set in stone, just write and see where it takes me. Then, let someone else take it for a spin and I can come back later to add some more. It's usually a fairly cathartic exercise for me and I don't want it hampered down by the usual game settings and whatnot around the rest of the site.

Anyway, don't want to step on toes or the like, but would really like to have something open-ended to contribute to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndl View Post
Is Agricolus the only one "authorized" to start one of these collaborative writings
Doodness Dwacious, no, bunny wabbit! By all means, hack away at it! If you have anything to add to the others, though, please do! They've been a little stale lately, but we've been keepinhg everyone busy. I'd welcome a new, fresh exhalation into the closet of misfortune.

The only reason I secured this dubious responsibility is that I like to write a whole lot, and my strange excuse for an imagination oft leads me in circuitous paths, an ability that finds a home in such endeavors. And I helped a little to start this Guild (although Wonderous One, InaVegt and Kanavel were initially the driving forces). It was borne of those who finished the NaNoWriMo beatings alive.

Indeed, the importance of such exercises can't be minimalized. This builds your imagnation and lets you see how others branch out and redirect the plot.

So flog away at it, and enjoy. I'll be looking for something to chew upon!

Quote:
Anyway, don't want to step on toes or the like, but would really like to have something open-ended to contribute to.
Toes are made for steppin' - that's why God put 'em down there. Seriously, this is more of a member-run or player-run Guild - if you have any ideas, belch them out! And don't be shy to criticize, as you'll have some coming your way, too - in a friendly way, of course.

Absolutely. Prompts and Collaborations are great! Anyone can start them. Just be sure to post in the What's New thread so we know a new one has started up.

XOMG A COLLABORATIVE WRITING CORNER. Why why why do I not get down here more often? Shame on me!

*continues to gobble*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleokatrah View Post
XOMG A COLLABORATIVE WRITING CORNER. Why why why do I not get down here more often? Shame on me!

*continues to gobble*
Yes! My own personal favorite place of all time! Join in, please, as well as all you other newbies! There are a few stories already started.