Pathfinder vs D&D 3.5 - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Pathfinder vs D&D 3.5

Some other differences are skills have been modified, introduction of regional etc traits which are like feats and give bonuses. There are some great features of classes for instance the paladin gets lay-on-hands as normal but also gets mercy which heals sickness and the like at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinred View Post
Some other differences are skills have been modified, introduction of regional etc traits which are like feats and give bonuses. There are some great features of classes for instance the paladin gets lay-on-hands as normal but also gets mercy which heals sickness and the like at the same time.
And similarly - Rogue Talents so that their sneak attack is more than just xd6 extra damage or for having additional skills or other abilities, Barbarian's Rage Powers and the Sorcerer Bloodlines (so that it actually has class features).

Plus, the developers actually try and maintain a presence on their own forums, which I don't think WotC do (I haven't been on the WotC forums in years though, so don't quote me on that).

Also, Cleric domains have been given pretty big boosts in power and versatility. And some of the new base classes for PF are pretty nifty too...the Witch and Oracle are two of my favorites.

Been wanting to try out a Witch, and I'm definitely keeping it and the Prehensile Hair hex (or the White-Haired Witch archetype) if I ever run a less-than-serious campaign. They shall be called, The Moustache Brigade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Also, Cleric domains have been given pretty big boosts in power and versatility.

But Clerics lost Heavy Armour Proficiency and Divine Power (I believe that was the thing that people complained about for nightstick abuse) is now a 4th level spell. That and I'm pretty sure Paizo are smart enough not to go putting in stupid stuff like nightsticks. They also have Channel Energy instead of Turn Undead (which they need to spend a feat on to get).

And lastly; the only boost to domains was that they now have two small side powers instead of one - one at first level and the other once you hit about level 8 (available spells may be another story and the sub-domains I haven't really looked into).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
But Clerics lost Heavy Armour Proficiency and Divine Power (I believe that was the thing that people complained about for nightstick abuse) is now a 4th level spell. That and I'm pretty sure Paizo are smart enough not to go putting in stupid stuff like nightsticks. They also have Channel Energy instead of Turn Undead (which they need to spend a feat on to get).
You were still capable of breaking the game by virtue of being a full spellcaster with a good spell list.

True, but the point was that their power increase from the domains wasn't enough to warrant Vader's Big No. They may have stronger domains, but they're weaker in other areas. And I don't know what spell changes would affect them (haven't tried to compare each PF Cleric spell to its 3.5 incarnation).

The power increase is modest (usually one minor combat ability and something defensive/miscellaneous). The war and strength domain abilities are nerfed somewhat so it's pretty tough to make a cleric that can do serious melee damage and it's impossible to make one that outshines the fighter/paladin/barbarian. The lack of heavy armour and that they didn't benefit from the HP inflation that some other classes get means the cleric is weaker in combat compared to other PF classes than the similar comparison for the 3.x cleric. Most of their power inflation is in making the class fun to play (channel healing) rather than more powerful in a DPR or battlefield control sense.

The full spell list is archetypal for the D&D cleric but with not much for direct damage and most of the non-summoning control spells being a level later than the same for wizards, their list is inferior well into the middle levels at least (9th in my home campaign).

Despite being run pretty well, the cleric in my group is a contributor and always has lots to do but he doesn't rise above the pack, can't come anywhere near to out damaging the glass cannon archer ranger or the really hard to hit sword and board fighter.