Looking for a system... - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Looking for a system...

Looking for a system...

Hello everyone!

I'm currently in the early prep stages for a campaign with my local group of gamers, and I'm looking for a good system to use.

The vast majority of my group's experience has been with AD&D, DnD3.0,3.5 and 4e, along with a stint in pathfinder land as well.

The campaign I'm planning is quite a bit different than our normal fare, and I'm not thinking that the systems we're used to are going to cut it without some major changes. Each player is going to have a minimum of two characters, hailing from different time periods. The game will shift between a modern setting (influenced by TSW, World of Darkness and others) and a pseudo traditional fantasy setting (influenced by A song of Ice and Fire and others.) The shifting between them will be somewhat similar to Ted Dekker's The Circle series.

At this point I'm pretty much open to anything. I do own a copy of the GURPS core books, which I've looked at, but never played. I'd like to avoid using two systems (one for modern and one for fantasy) as the timelines will converge late game.

Sooooo, any suggestions for a system that is flexible, simple, and would mesh well with both settings?

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions!

You'll want to take a look at Mutants & Masterminds 3e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutants_%26_Masterminds

I use it all the time for Eberron games, and it's designed to accommodate a wide range of settings, timelines, tech levels.

Your group already knows how to play because it is a d20 system, like D&D3.5, only you use points to buy your powers instead of a class progression.

GURPS has a lot of details. It's great for those who like simulation playing. There is a lot of choices, both in character creation and combat, so a PbP game may get bogged down unless you willing to skip some of the details.

BESM is a good system to use to. It is based on anime rpg, but you can tune it so it is more realistic. If you want to keep it with the same similar system. Try D20 Modern for future and D&D 3.5 for fantasy.

Question. Can I play?

M&M is good (I prefer 2e over 3e, but whatever). Except i have found that it runs into trouble when you try fantasy setting. Unless it VERY low power, even so, the balance between someone who just uses a sword and someone who has magic is.. well not balance anymore.

Savage worlds is good too, GURPS has that 'it can do anything' advantage as well.

You could always use D20 Past and D20 Modern; it might fit the low-fantasy of SOIAF better than D&D. Plus you wouldn't have a ton of balancing issues when the timelines merged (D&D characters are usually wayyy more powerful than D20 characters, if you just port the numbers between systems).

Also if you want super-simple, you could go with Mini-Six, found here; the upside is, it's customizable; the downside is, you literally have to write out rules for each setting if you want any kind of continuity.

Dang, The Circle...it's been forever ago since I read that. With that in mind...the sort of thing you're wanting would work best with a system that lets you easily transfer character attributes that matter to the story.

Gear Risus for a more serious setting (aka regulate the Cliches and disallow Inappropriate Cliches), or else (if you're really up for something different) check out FATE, which is flexible but also requires some creative work (writing up a skills list and working through stunts). (More rules goodness is at http://www.faterpg.com/resources/.)

Both of these systems (Risus especially) tend to define most (or all) of a character in terms of how they relate to the story, and who they are as a character. Which means that the specific, realistic details of the setting matter far less. Which makes it easier to port around to various settings. It also means that you could use the same character sheet for both settings, and just have part of it be a "module" that swaps out if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svipdag View Post
You could always use D20 Past and D20 Modern; it might fit the low-fantasy of SOIAF better than D&D. Plus you wouldn't have a ton of balancing issues when the timelines merged (D&D characters are usually wayyy more powerful than D20 characters, if you just port the numbers between systems).

Also if you want super-simple, you could go with Mini-Six, found here; the upside is, it's customizable; the downside is, you literally have to write out rules for each setting if you want any kind of continuity.
Have to give this a +1 on the Modern + Past. Especially if you are already used to d20. There is almost nothing to learn. You can port things in from 3.5 if you want more than is available our of the rule books.

I am a huge fan of Mini-Six. I am running a couple games on here using the system, but like Svip said you have to put some customization work in to get the flavor you want. However it can handle everything I have ever thrown at it and is pure simple (4 actual pages of mechanics)