Walking Dead: Good Or Bad? (The Tv-Show) - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Walking Dead: Good Or Bad? (The Tv-Show)

Walking Dead: Good Or Bad? (The Tv-Show)

Now I know comparing the Tv-show to the comics is not really a logical debate. But we all do it in our heads with most cross media franchising things. I know at least all me and my friends do.

I recently got the bluray of the entire series, except 5 cause it's not out yet. And rewatching it I was kind of bored with some early stuff. So I'm wondering overall is the show good or bad? I know it's more about the people surviving then the zombie apoc, and I think that's great. But 2 things about the show bug me.

So I want people to discuss it. This is an open debate discussion forum. No flaming, no rage hating, no digital table flipping, no glaring with angry emoticons, no hate-pegs, creep-links, image-jockies. Nothing that makes me have to close the thread and get a mod to intervene. Lets just discuss it like nerds and fans of the show. Please and thank you.

Madhatter's Issues

Andrea: How could you get a character any more wrong? In the comics she is responsible for saving Rick from himself. In the show she is a Manic Depressive Bipolar Lunatic with Bitch Face. The latter is probably the actress's fault.

Shotguns: At one point I counted the number of rounds fired without reloading in season 2. Hershel topped out somewhere around 40 before going to a different scene. I realize guns/firearms wont be completely accurate in shows but there is no recoil on any of the weapons fired. How can Carl use a heavy pistol with that huge silencer so accurate without any recoil? He is small with skinny arms. I just don't get it.

Is the show sort of racist?: Ever notice how when a new black male character comes in, the old one dies within 2-4 episodes. Exception is Morgan vanishes, not dead, before Rick goes to Atlanta and meets T-Dog. T-Dog goes and then Tyrese shows up. Sure in season 3, both Bob and Tyerese were in the group together, but I don't count that considering the group was mostly split at that point. Same thing in 4 when everyone meets up and deals with Terminus.

Bob gets bit then kidnapped and dies as the black kid with the limp comes in (I forget his name). Then Bob dies of his bite and the Preacher comes in. Preacher is there and right in the beginning of Season 5, Tyrese dies. The kid gets eaten on a run mission with Glenn and soon after Morgan is back, albeit with his new multiclass Monk Abilities.

Michone and Tyreses sister have been there for a while. But I'm telling you it's only a matter of time until the Preacher dies. Especially with his multiple suicide attempts.

I myself was confused by Andrea as a character, simply because her personality was all over the place at times.

I won't say much about the how accurately the firearms are depicted in the show. I will only mention that in the later seasons you can notice that the firearms, especially the pistols, never cycle when fired, and there are several occasions where a special effect is depicting the muzzle blast. But I think the directors/producers simply assume that viewers won't question the technical details one way or another. There is the reasonable assumption lot of the reloading takes place off-camera. Whether or not the act in question occurs in a reasonable amount of time would involve the technical details.

As for being racist, the show did fall into the trope of having the token black guy. At least it did with T-Dog until he finally had some character/personality injected into him. Otherwise, I have to admit that then it is a bad idea to be a black male on the show. I am hoping that the show's writers will turn that track record around with Morgan. Mostly because I am going to be extremely pissed if they kill him off, and I then have to wait for Lennie James to appear in another tv series... again.

I wiki'd the actor. He is pretty good and I want to know what other stuff he is.

I was so happy Andrea died I literally hollared for joy in my living room.

Name a better series in the SF&F genres from the last 20 years, Game of Thrones excepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Name a better series in the SF&F genres from the last 20 years, Game of Thrones excepted.
Hoping you mean sci-fi and fantasy, otherwise I'm about to make a fool of myself.

Defiance. Great sci-fi show, I find it far more rewatchable than the walking dead. It can be a bit dodgy at rare times, but other than that, I like defiance more than twd. But then again, I'm sure there are dozens of people on here that will tell me why I'm wrong on this point. Admittedly, haven't played the game that accompanies it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching twd. Due to Internet where I live, I haven't seen the latest season. But I have been completely unable to sit down and watch most of the episodes a second time. One or two episodes stand out but other than that, can't do it.

It's a good enough show, I don't have a problem with it, hell I enjoy the zombie apocalypse genre and it does a solid job. But like I said, it doesn't have repeat value for me. Defiance definitely does however, that pulls it above the walking dead for me.

I did enjoy Farscape quite a bit, and it is the first one that comes to mind. Even if some of the episodes were a tad wacky after season 2 or 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Ever notice how when a new black male character comes in, the old one dies within 2-4 episodes.

It may have gotten better, but after watching the first 2 or 3 episodes, I had no interest whatsoever in watching further. Bored to tears. Just nothing there worth watching. But I did enjoy the Honest Trailers' Idiot's Guide to Season ___ for Walking Dead. And the one for Game of Thrones (which is another popular program I can't stand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine?

It's hard to really name a "Better" series since everything is so different due to opinion.

For example if I wanted to name a science fiction/fantasy show that aired in the last 20 years that I consider better than the walking dead?

Power Rangers in Space. (Aired in 1998)

But I'm pretty sure no one here is going to agree with me on that.