Oct 3 debate in review - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Oct 3 debate in review

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
I'm thinking we are looking at another "list of known communists" situation.
Apparently, the KGB is laughing at all those schoolteachers who teach that Joe McCarthy was a bad, bad man.
Link to Wiki.
Yeah, this one's not partisan at all.

A better comparison would be John Kerry's "I have a plan" campaign platform back in 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
In all fairness, you would be tired, too, if you were running a country and a campaign.
Yeah, it's been so rough, what with all those vacations on the taxpayer's dime and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Yeah, it's been so rough, what with all those vacations on the taxpayer's dime and all.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-20093801.html

The dude's taken less vacation time than me in the same amount of time, and I get a whopping 2 weeks for year. I think a week to prep for debate when Romney has had all year to prep is something he's entitled to.

I was refering to the specific moment when he was talking before the senate and held up what he procliamed was a list of all known communists in some industry or other and a news photographer got a picture showing the paper was blank.
But if you only read revisionist history you might not have heard about that moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
The dude's taken less vacation time than me in the same amount of time, and I get a whopping 2 weeks for year. I think a week to prep for debate when Romney has had all year to prep is something he's entitled to.
Yeah, I don't understand cheap shots like that. Is the premise that Presidents aren't supposed to have time off, because they're a public employee, or is an accusation being leveled as though *this* President is especially egregious in his vacation time?

If the former, I'm not sure who in their right mind thinks that the most stressful job in the country doesn't merit some downtime. These men have families, they probably rarely get a weekend or true day off while they're in office, and they often travel excessive amounts. I should think the need for downtime to be rather extreme, so we needn't begrudge them a week off every quarter.

If the latter, where does this stuff come from when emanating from the mouths of otherwise relatively informed people? That seems like potent evidence of the propaganda machine when it affects people who otherwise claim they aren't influenced by such things.

It really depends on who is in office. If its a Dem Republicans will slam him for slack work ethics. If its a Republican then Dems will reliably slam him for the same. I remember W getting criticized for his golfing habits too...and hes taken a quarter of Obama's golf outings in twice the time!

Factoid: President Wilson golfed an estimated 1200 rounds during his presidency.

I understand the appeal of slamming a President for the appearance of not being on the job, and realize it happens regardless of party affiliation, but if the accusers would stop and think about it for a second, they'd realize it's an idiotic thing to do.

If there's anyone on the planet who doesn't get any downtime, it's the leader of a nation. And the leaders of a nation as large as the US get even less of it, I'm sure.

What gets me is counting golf games when you are facing someone who is clearly taking less time off. If he plays golf with foregin leaders, how do we count that in the score of time on the job?

Or Congressmen. Or Generals. Or whomever. Do people really play golf for fun and relaxation?

Why is it okay for your Regional Sales Manager to expense his golf mornings, but when POTUS goes golfing it's goof-off time?

The dumb thing is that the people reporting on this stuff know better, but they sensationalize it anyway. Nevermind the pundits.

If I was as under as much pressure as the President or Generals or whatever any chance to blow off steam becomes valuable to me. I think golf, even if its sort of popular, is ideal for leader types because its away from crowds, easy (easier?) to manage security, requires you be outdoors and active, and is fairly accessible without disrupting schedules overly much. As silveroak pointed out you can even manage business while golfing. Try doing that while playing soccer.