Character Ideas - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Character Ideas

Character Ideas

I have a character, a human bard with a couple of levels of ranger, who has no character. I don't have a backstory, a theme, a... reason for being. Call it writers block. He's in Arabel, Cormyr, in 1374 DR. He has no chosen deity. No organizational affiliation.

If you're so inclined, please put your grey matter to work and give me some suggestions on where to go with this character. How did he get here? What makes him tick? What are his hopes and dreams and fears?

I'll be honest with you, I can't really create a character for anyone else, but how about you look over the character sheet and ask some questions about it? I'd suggest starting with the little things and build backwards, you'll be amazed what you can figure out just by answering simple questions, and following up the answer with another question.

Some questions to start with:
Why is the character using the weapon he's using?
Any unexpected (or unexpectedly high) skills? Why?
You said he has levels in ranger, does he have a pet(/animal companion)? How did he get it? Does he want one?
How did he learn to be a bard? Or a ranger for that matter?
He doesn't have a deity, or is a member of any organization, is there a reason for this (could be anything from not liking to be tied down, to not wanting to get tracked down by someone, to simply not having found any he likes)?

And so on and so forward. Hopefully something I wrote will help you find a place to start at least.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-abili...ptions/pfbggen

That link goes to a random background generator. The pathfinder srd has more detailed stuff but the base random one should be good for sparking ideas.

That said, are you already in a game? making an application for one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit815 View Post
I have a character, a human bard with a couple of levels of ranger, who has no character. I don't have a backstory, a theme, a... reason for being. Call it writers block. He's in Arabel, Cormyr, in 1374 DR. He has no chosen deity. No organizational affiliation.
Is there anything non-canonical about this incarnation about Arabel? Any game-specific hooks?

I think it is odd that he is an atheist in 3.5 FR... don't all atheists end up either getting their souls grabbed for whatever random Evuls in the universe who happen to grab them or get absorbed into the wall of the faithless?

Fjolnir, he said he didn't have a deit for his character, not nessicarily that he was an atheist. But if he is an atheist, well, would an atheist believe in the wall of the faithless anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
I think it is odd that he is an atheist in 3.5 FR... don't all atheists end up either getting their souls grabbed for whatever random Evuls in the universe who happen to grab them or get absorbed into the wall of the faithless?
Ugh. My least favorite part of the setting. It's so disgusting, it often hinderes my enjoyment of, or application too games set in FR. But one day, I really want to play an anti-theist in that setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inscribed View Post
Ugh. My least favorite part of the setting. It's so disgusting, it often hinderes my enjoyment of, or application too games set in FR. But one day, I really want to play an anti-theist in that setting.
I've played a priestess (bard) to a completely made up God in Forgotten Realms. Her faith, and build were enough that the god actually came into existence enough to protect it's followers. Made for a great plot point

Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunkadept View Post
I've played a priestess (bard) to a completely made up God in Forgotten Realms. Her faith, and build were enough that the god actually came into existence enough to protect it's followers. Made for a great plot point
Belief is power, after all.

That said being an atheist in a world where deities are real and actively present in everyday activities is like trying to deny the existence of iron in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
That said being an atheist in a world where deities are real and actively present in everyday activities is like trying to deny the existence of iron in reality.
Closer to believing the world is flat and all evidence to the contrary is a conspiracy, actually.

Oh, and that is *not* a made up example. Some people really do believe this.