Xcom Enemy Unknown - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Xcom Enemy Unknown

I'd be down for a D20 version.

I've played (and nearly finished) the original game, got about 1/2 way through the 2nd (terror from the deep) before I upgraded out of compatibility with my copies of the game. I've played the demo for the new one and find it interesting, but the first mission of the demo annoys the hell out of me. There's no way a competent commander would lose all but one of his squad in a scenario lke that.

If you don't know what you are facing, and actually imagine it is a realistic scenario, it does make some sense. Fear of the unknown, uncertainty of numbers and abilities, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren44 View Post
I've played the demo for the new one and find it interesting, but the first mission of the demo annoys the hell out of me. There's no way a competent commander would lose all but one of his squad in a scenario lke that.
You can disable the tutorials in the full game - turn those off and you should have a much better first mission (only one or two casualties at the most unless you really mess things up).

True, The only way to play it is Classic Ironman. You WILL learn how to keep your soldiers alive. lol

amen six gun. Also, your snipers are best at range. Don't move them to the front of the line. Thats what the recruit and the assault is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadford01 View Post
amen six gun. Also, your snipers are best at range. Don't move them to the front of the line. Thats what the recruit and the assault is for.
I actually rather like the Support soldiers as my spotters with the skill that lets them move farther. Then have them hunker down and let your Snipers and Assaults kill them.

I just rented the game a few days ago and my god it is proving difficult. I am a very strategic player with any game I play and I have NEVER had a game kick my ass as bad as this one is... And I am playing on normal!

My first playthrough was an ironman game on normal, I started in europe and was doing OK, no countries lost. I got to some downed UFO in germany about 4-6 hours in and when 3 of the low level aliens appeared, my game froze. Every time I try to reload it it keeps happening, meaning I had to start fresh.

This second playthrough I am going with africa. Now, still only 4-6 hours in, I have lost 4 countries and half of whats left is in full panic?! Is it normal to lose a large chunk of your map so quickly?

I'm playing on Normal difficulty, 13 hours in and havent' been having much trouble.. I've lost 1 country and really think I could've prevented that, but I was still learning how the panic system worked and what not.. Making sure to launch satellites, when abductions happen make sure I take the panic level into consideration instead of which site has the best reward.. That kind of stuff..