3.5 or 4e? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

3.5 or 4e?

View Poll Results
Which version do you like better?
4th edition D&D 48 40.68%
Good ol' 3.5 D&D 52 44.07%
I haven't decided/I haven't played 4th ect. 18 15.25%

3.5 or 4e?

I just came back to MW and noticed that the vast majority of games seems to be in 3.5.

I had thought that by this point, more people would have switched over to 4th, after all, it was released a while ago. Or maybe I'm just mis estimating the amount of time it will take for 4th to become the main version of D&D being played.

Whatever the case, as a curiosity, I've posted this thread to see what people think of 4th.

Do you like 3.5 or 4th better?

I'm of two minds. They're two completely different games really. I play Shadowrun, Mutants and Masterminds and some others. Likewise I don't really feel obligated to choose between 3rd edition DnD and 4th edition. 4th has its fun. It's amusing for combat and fairly simple to use but also feels a little more gamey. For a bit more of a serious feel I stick with 3rd.

I prefer 4th quite a bit over 3/3.5e. Its got all the stuff i always wanted in a High Fantasy RPG: Balanced system, fun and fast combat and task resolution, easily customizable and modifiable, and overall fun to play with no wonky mechanics that don't fit the rest of the system, and its easy as hell to prep for and run as a DM, which is important because outside of PbP games i almost always end up DM'ing.

3/3.5 were great for their time, but i played them for so long that the many many broken or easily breakable elements just began to stick out, and once 4E came out and i saw how overall great the game was i couldn't go back. I can't even look at 3.5 without going 'blah'.

The icing on the cake is that i can easily fix any small problem the system has with very little effort, usually a common-sense interpretation of the rules, also known as using the Rules As Intended (RAI).

I prefer 4th edition solely because I got sick of optimisation in 3.5 and unbalance nature of casters versus non-casters mechanics. Of course I assume that 4th edition will have optimisation too but at least core remains more balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savevsdeath View Post
I prefer 4th quite a bit over 3/3.5e. Its got all the stuff i always wanted in a High Fantasy RPG: Balanced system, fun and fast combat and task resolution, easily customizable and modifiable, and overall fun to play with no wonky mechanics that don't fit the rest of the system, and its easy as hell to prep for and run as a DM, which is important because outside of PbP games i almost always end up DM'ing.

3/3.5 were great for their time, but i played them for so long that the many many broken or easily breakable elements just began to stick out, and once 4E came out and i saw how overall great the game was i couldn't go back. I can't even look at 3.5 without going 'blah'.

The icing on the cake is that i can easily fix any small problem the system has with very little effort, usually a common-sense interpretation of the rules, also known as using the Rules As Intended (RAI).
This, all of it. I can't look back at 3.5 after playing 4th, not for story-related nor combat-related games. 4th is my de-facto D&D right now.

I returned to D&D because of 4, but then again, I'm a very different kinda person.

I will note that putting this in the D&D 4e group may not give you an accurate representation nor voice both sides of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post
I returned to D&D because of 4, but then again, I'm a very different kinda person.

I will note that putting this in the D&D 4e group may not give you an accurate representation nor voice both sides of the issue.
There's also the problem that almost every board online will have a clear bias towards an edition with no middle ground.

It has been highly polarized, hasn't it. I've noticed a few of the minor skirmishes in a few of the other threads. There have been very few "middle ground" type people.

I don't like 4E, it's a decent game and all, but it's just not DnD, no vancian casting, no differences in attack capabilities (The only difference between an epic fighter and an epic wizard hitting with a big stick is that the fighter has a higher strength bonus... O-kaaay)

I also don't like the idea that you have to start out as overcompetent, a first level PC in 3.x was mortal, and clearly so. A first level PC in 4E is pretty hard to kill. This encourages people to be less careful.

The joy and thrill of low level DnD for me is that any attack could floor me, no matter how much HP I had. In 4E that only happens if you fight hugely level inappropriate characters.

Now, if I want a fast playing epic fantasy game, I'll play 4E, but 4E just doesn't have the Dungeons and Dragons feel to me, and I prefer low level games with a constant threat of death.