Push the RPG? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Push the RPG?

Push the RPG?

I was just poking around the tangled mess of wires and cyber space and came across this breakdown of powers from the movie. I thought this would make a good concept and fun to try out. Many systems can handle this type of game (D20 Modern, Dark Conspiracy, etc), although I would think the powers were a bit redundant, over powered, or should at least be tiered. Please let me know what you think. I do enjoy creating game systems from time to time and this project would be interesting if not fun.

(posted by SHH at comicbookmovie.com)(all except Shift)

Pusher: The most dangerous of all agents, these individuals can "push" specific thoughts, memories and even emotions into their targets.

Mover: Can manipulate inanimate objects at varying distances. Advanced movers can work at a molecular level creating protective shields in the air around them.

Watcher: Trained to self-induce visions of the future that include both images and sounds, like a prolonged sense of deja vu. Trained Watchers visions can extend hours or days into the future.

Stitch: Stitches are psychic surgeons, healers trained to quickly reconstruct cells to their previous or healthy state.

Bleeder: Unique to the Chinese government, Bleeders are trained solely for assassination purposes. They can emit high-pitched sonic vibrations that cause ruptures in a targets blood vessels.

Sniff: Highly developed clairvoyants who can track the location of either people or objects over varying distances.

Shadow: These individuals can temporarily shift patterns of light on any object to create illusions to the naked eye.

Wiper: Skilled at either temporary or permanent memory erasure, an invaluable asset in espionage.

Shift: Masters of sleight of hand and illusions. Shifts can manipulate objects to appear as something else close to the same size/shape.

From the look of it, there is no reason not to play the overpowered class. To preserve game balance however, I recommend using GURPS 4ed. with the Powers books and Martial Arts. That should do the trick for what you are looking for.

Thank you for the concise review. I shall tinker a bit and see what happens. Balance was the first issue I could see right away, and as you pointed out, a couple of systems could address this problem.

You can also use Mutants & Masterminds for something like this. That system is flexible enough for most kinds of superhuman powers, and pretty good at balancing them against each other.

I will have to make myself a bit more familiar with M&M system, I have little experience using it. But your suggestion did get me thinking of perhaps other systems like Silvervine and TRI-Stat dx (which is free). I must do some more research and perhaps hammer something out after a time. I appreciate the continued input and would welcome more.

I thought the movie would make a fun game environment. As you stated, there are many systems suitable for the execution of the game. FATE is another good candidate. It's cinematic and light on the crunch factor. Would love to see the finshed product. Thanks for the post.

NWoD with Second Sight supplement book covers nearly all of the powers desired already. The remaining two or three are fairly easy to probably construct using various other abilities/powers from other existing material

I think i have that supplement. I will look that over as well. One of these days I will decide on a system!

oWoD Sorcerer can cover lots if not all of those, it seems that some magic Paths need to be converted to Psychic powers (which is entirely possible).From the top of my head:

Pusher: Fascination (generally positive emotions, so it may need a minor modification)
Mover: Psychokinesis
Watcher: Divination, Precognition
Stitch: Healing, Psychic Healing
Bleeder: Hellfire (re-fluff it to fit), Psychic Vampirism (without the self benefit?)
Sniff: Clairvoyance
Wiper: Psychic Hypnosis?

I'm not sure if that's the best system to run the game, though. But, by all means, if you have the chance look through the book, maybe it'll inspire you.

Also, is it me or the Shift/Shadow sound quite similar?