4e passes up 3.5 on the Ad Page - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

4e passes up 3.5 on the Ad Page

Something I don't see much of is Call of Cthulhu, which is sad because it's my favourite system. I would love to see more CoC players honestly.

Thank you Dr Morganes for the thorough response. It has really helped the descision making process along. I think I will be going the route of 4e. It will be easier to find source material for the newer product. Plus I like the idea of all classess being able to contribute equally across the board. In the 1st & 2nd editions everyone wanted a fighter type until the wizzard could throw the fireball. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersnatch View Post
Why invest in D&D at all? There are tons of other good (better ) systems around, like Dark Heresy, MnM, Fudge, World of Darkness. Despite how it looks, there is quite a devoted base of players for these games and it keeps increasing. It's mostly the GMs that are missing, so if you are actually planning to run a game here you shouldn't have any problems.

... and to the OP: I think it's more remarkable how much 3.5 has shrunk from a few years ago, and how many non-DnD games are out there lately.
Its all gaming mechanics everyone has a favorite. I was partial to GURPs for quite a while. WOD had the coolest setting (in my opinion). I will most likely branch out to MnM because they offer books for DC (my favorite comic book publisher). And either WOD or GURPS. I need to get some gaming time and familiarize myself with the rules before I start GMing again. But running a game is where I will return to.

One more thing...4th edition is easier to jump into and it balances things really well.

For a better example: when I play with my weekly group, we play 3.5 and M&M for better role playing experiences.

When I meet up with college buddies once a year for beer and d&d weekends, we play 4th for superior hack and slash, easy roles to jump into, and much much easier games to run as a DM.

I know it's heresy to say this on the Weave to some people, but...Hammie acually likes 3.5, 4th edition, d20 modern, and M&M each in their own special way. And I play games under each system because the balance is enriching.

I realize I've opened the ark of the covenant by saying that. I'm better off liking Kirk and Picard, Marvel and DC, dogs and cats, as well as rap and metal (each of which I do! Horror! ). But really, you'll learn to appreciate each one for what it is, and you'll have fun once you discover that.

Fourth edition is a good starting point for you in my opinion. Good choice

Congrats to the mature and neutral way the 3.5 vs. 4th Edition topic had been covered (for the most part).

However, the question has been answered - and the topic is on the list of disallowed topics.

Thread Closed for review.