Objectively determining writing skill - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

Objectively determining writing skill

Your analysis states that stories are thusly collections of tropes, which is true, but the employment of these techniques is what makes something good. For example utilizing a villain can be done masterfully or be a cheap hack job. Simple tool utilization, even if it follows standard formula does not necessarilly make something "good writing".

I believe quality is determined by the mechanics of good writing and a writer's potential is determined by the content of the written piece. Combine these two and you have the overall appeal of the written work. However, you must also consider another factor, the reader. The reader brings with them a third "unknown" factor. This is what makes it "impossible" to determine with certainty, the standards to qualitatively, but objectively, arrive at similar conclusions regarding the quality of a written work. Each reader will interpret and react to the written word in different ways, (ie. a Holocaust survivor would have a different emotional response to "The Diary of Ann Frank" than one of Hitler's soldier's) this would change their interpretation of how "good" the written work was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains515 View Post
I believe quality is determined by the mechanics of good writing and a writer's potential is determined by the content of the written piece. Combine these two and you have the overall appeal of the written work. However, you must also consider another factor, the reader. The reader brings with them a third "unknown" factor. This is what makes it "impossible" to determine with certainty, the standards to qualitatively, but objectively, arrive at similar conclusions regarding the quality of a written work. Each reader will interpret and react to the written word in different ways, (ie. a Holocaust survivor would have a different emotional response to "The Diary of Ann Frank" than one of Hitler's soldier's) this would change their interpretation of how "good" the written work was.
QFT, should've been first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains515
However, you must also consider another factor, the reader.
Here! Here! I believe a writer should always write with his or her audience in mind. Sure a national bestseller does not know who the reader is going to be that walks into the bookstore or library and sees a book with a catchy illustration on the cover or an attractive synopsis on the inside sleeve of the cover. But one must always be aware of one's audience.

Where am I going with this. Crap if I know. Ramblings of an old man.

I think we now have the answer to this thread.

The reader is the objective determining factor of what is good writing. Granted it is their subjective perception, but reader consensus builds objective opinion of the writer, otherwise it's all mechanical.

Oh... oh God. You realize what this means, don't you? That means that... not... not only is Danielle Steele a good writer, but... so is... Stephanie Myer! Her books are as soulless as her vampiric main characters and her vapid teenage self-analog...

I really shouldn't talk. I read the whole series. I hated myself but loved it.

I refused outright. Anything that herold's itself as a mary sue fic as if such a thing were a badge of honor should be avoided like the plague. Also, vampires are supposed to kick ass and be evil, not sparkle and have emo tantrums because they were written by a mormon who thought bursting into flames might be "against god" (as if the very notion of vampires wasn't rooted in heresy; see vlad drakov). Ugh.

Now lets never talk about this again...

I have ten bucks that say you read Danielle Steele under the stairs at night while playing Barry White in the background.