Shapeshifting in pathfinder - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Shapeshifting in pathfinder

Shapeshifting in pathfinder

Although I could go on for pages in a polymorph-based argument, I would like to avoid that for this thread. Instead, I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm wanting to create a shapeshifter, preferably as a sorcerer or bard. However, I can't find any shapeshifting abilities in pathfinder that are anything more that Bull's Strength with natural armor tacked on.

Thematically, I find shapeshifting attractive because it creates a character who is seemingly weak and defenseless, and who is completely reliant on the shapeshifting in order to defend himself. Is there anything like this in pathfinder?

Hi Tyoka,

I think the only true shapeshifter (other than Druid at level 4) is Ranger with Shapeshifter archetype ;(

I'm sure that others will correct me with things like Synergist, and alchemist variants and non-paizo books, but I think what you have effectively asked doesn't exist except for those two I have listed above ...

Sorry,

NGP

If your DM allows psionics then you might want to check out Psionics Unleashed. The psion egoist later delving into the Metamorph prestige class is a pretty competent shapechanger.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed

If I get what you're thinking about, you should make a sorcerer and take the shapes and forms spell.

Here are those I found
Beast
Vermin
Plant
Dragon
Giant

Thanks all, but it looks like noobiegameplayer is right, it doesn't exist. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoka View Post
Although I could go on for pages in a polymorph-based argument, I would like to avoid that for this thread. Instead, I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm wanting to create a shapeshifter, preferably as a sorcerer or bard. However, I can't find any shapeshifting abilities in pathfinder that are anything more that Bull's Strength with natural armor tacked on.

Thematically, I find shapeshifting attractive because it creates a character who is seemingly weak and defenseless, and who is completely reliant on the shapeshifting in order to defend himself. Is there anything like this in pathfinder?
The best thing I can think of is the Kitsune. This would leave you to choose the class you want while giving you the option of having good shapeshifting abilities. If you were wanting better bonuses while shifted I wouldn't know much about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystmesis View Post
Synthesist Summoner is what you're looking for
YOU SIR... are a gentleman and a scholar, and have my vote for 2012. Thank you, I think this will work very well indeed.

Synthesist Summoner is good as long as you don't want to play Pathfinder Society where it has recently been put on the banned class archetype list ...

But if that works for you, good stuff -- that dystmesis -- he's genius (even if he does keep trying to kill my innocent little witch ... boo hoo)

Quote:
recently been put on the banned class archetype list ...
...what the actual f***. Is Paizo SO afraid of shapeshifting that they would take a class feature that only weakens the original class and ban it just because it's reminiscent of the DREEEEAAADED polymorph?

Hide your children! A 7th level wizard is spending one of his most powerful spells to turn into an owlbear! The RP community is surely going to collapse this time! Quick, call the blessed factotums! They're are only hope for an original and compelling character!