Big Freaking Sword? - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Big Freaking Sword?

To be honest Keradi I think that's a bit rude. If you know it's questionable and the DM might object bring it up before the game starts, you wouldn't like people going behind your back and just assuming that something from a completely different edition of the game is fine to use, would you?

Depends on the game. Like I said in my post, 3.0 edition stuff is considered cannon in 3.5 so long as 3.5 hasn't rewritten them. 3.5 hardly a completely different edition, it is an update on 3.0's rules. While it may bring up a question or two if the DM is limiting on the resources available, if anything is fair play then there is no point bringing it up in the first place and addressing it may not be worth it. I never said hiding it either because simply you can't. All that information is going straight onto his character sheet (which all DMs should review anyway) and once he's in combat and swinging that thing around, the DM can step in and say his piece if he finds it objectionable.

If the OP's DM doesn't feel like 3.0 stuff isn't allowed or is only allowing things on a case by case thing then sure it would be rude to try sneaking something in, however I don't know anything about the circumstances so I am giving my honest opinion and suggestion based solely on the information given and asked of by the OP.

if a GM wants to make you not use such a massive weapon, generally all he has to do is emphasize how impractical such a weapon is to carry, use, and make use of.

Well that's why he gets proficiencies in it and uses a goliath who would be able to carry and wield such a massive weapon.

The point is not in being able to swing such a blade, it's more having to carry it without bonking everyone upside the head, containing such a behemoth blade indoors, convincing people you aren't compensating for something, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem_Jeer View Post
convincing people you aren't compensating for something, etc.
If the goliath is running around in a loincloth, it might be easier than you think.

Just a note: Isn't the Full Blade a Huge weapon, to begin with?

I think a full blade should cost more, since forging those things would certainly be troublesome. How long is it, and how wide? Knowing the actual measurements of the weapon can give the GM an idea of whether or not your goliath should be using that.

Also, it can't possibly be made entirely of steel - it's gotta be mostly iron, so maybe it's easier to sunder too.

Quote:
The point is not in being able to swing such a blade, it's more having to carry it without bonking everyone upside the head, containing such a behemoth blade indoors, convincing people you aren't compensating for something, etc.
So a bit like owning a horse. The GM could say 'put it somewhere, hope no one steals it; and if you're really scared, hire someone to watch over it for you'.

And because it's a freaking full blade, it should only be one of the goliath's weapons - his other one could be like a shortsword or dagger (the usual rule).

Quote:
Originally Posted by impfireball View Post
I think a full blade should cost more, since forging those things would certainly be troublesome. How long is it, and how wide? Knowing the actual measurements of the weapon can give the GM an idea of whether or not your goliath should be using that.

Also, it can't possibly be made entirely of steel - it's gotta be mostly iron, so maybe it's easier to sunder too.

So a bit like owning a horse. The GM could say 'put it somewhere, hope no one steals it; and if you're really scared, hire someone to watch over it for you'.

And because it's a freaking full blade, it should only be one of the goliath's weapons - his other one could be like a shortsword or dagger (the usual rule).
I regaurd enforcing such things in a system like this an unnecessary nerf to Melee.

Why are we talking about this stuff anyway? The topic was about whether or not the OP could use a fullblade with the conditions set. So why is the topic now about finding ways to dissuade players from using a weapon?