Welcome to the Workshop

Greetings from Mordae, MW Staff Member and GM Workshop Maintainer
"Greetings one and all, to those of you who are just browsing and those who intend to stick around. Welcome to the MW GM Workshop, a place where GMs of all kinds can gather, socialize, and share their inspiration. Here you will find the roster of those brave souls who deign bear the mantle of Game Master and have come to this oasis of knowledge and fellowship.

I have played D&D since the Red Box days, and in addition to upgrading through the various versions I found myself the default GM for my RL gaming groups for the past two decades. I joined Myth-Weavers in September 2008 and am presently GM of 6 D&D 3.5e games (each in a homebrew world), one d20 future game, and one quirky miscellaneous venture. I have a passion for epic storytelling, from Beowulf and Iliad through Lord of the Rings and the Wheel of Time series. I gravitate towards long-running campaigns; most of my RL games lasted 1-2 years, and my first PbP adventure (Odd Jobs) is approaching the 1-year mark."
- Mordae

Navigating the Workshop
The Workshop has a number of thread groups, also listed on the left-hand pane of the forum, to organize the threads, and to allow you to filter what threads to see. If you are wondering where to post up a question or make a new thread, this is the list of folders and their descriptions.
  • Call to Adventure
    Series of Multiple Quests that explains a story.

All your preparation comes to naught if the players don't bite. This forum is dedicated to discussing how to catch and hold your players' attention, and the specifics of adventure creation.

• Campaign HQ
    Multiple Adventures that Depict multiple Stories, includes traveling to lots of cities

A "campaign" is a series of adventures related in some manner, think of a CRPG like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. Perhaps you have a grand plot - much like a series of novels - that is too large to be contained within a single adventure. Maybe you just want to tell the story of the Player Characters for as long as the game holds together. Whatever the reason, long-running campaigns have some unique issues.

• Encounter Planning
    Single Encounters or One Shot Tasks, or Quests

Encounters are the meat of any game. Encounters are where the action is. But what makes an encounter? How do you know when one starts? How do you know when one ends? How many encounters make an adventure? Hopefully we'll find the answers to these questions here.

• Resources
    Resources for running your game

Do you have a nifty tool that makes your life as a GM easier? Are you looking for a tool to make your life as a GM easier? Post things like generators, calculators, articles, and more here.

• Running the Game
    How to handle the responsibilities of GM, from rules adjudication to dealing with missing players

• Workshop Challenges

• World Building
    What GM hasn't pondered the creation of his own little universe?

Discuss the ins and outs of branching away from the "default" worlds detailed in the published rulebooks. Discuss creation of custom powers, classes, spells, locations, planes, people, campaigns, history - all the things settings such as The Forgotten Realms or Eberron bring to their games.