4E: Lord of Envy - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4E: Lord of Envy

4E: Lord of Envy

Please critique for balance, etc. Look especially at his "I Should Have it Too" power. I like it a lot, but I want to make sure it's balanced and clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg envy.jpg (112.1 KB, 0 views)

So many healing powers that are close or area powers still only affect a target chosen by the caster. For example, as the power is currently written, if a cleric uses Healing Word while the Lord of Envy is in the area of the burst, the Lord of Envy would be treated as an ally, but there is no reason for the cleric to choose the Lord of Envy as a target.

How about this instead:

It' All Mine! (Immediate Interrupt; recharge 5-6)
Close Burst 20
Trigger: The Lord of Envy is in the area of a close or area power with the Healing keyword.
Target: The originator of the triggering power
Attack: +28 vs Will
Hit: The triggering power has no effect and the Lord of Envy heals 216 hit points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Meepo View Post
So many healing powers that are close or area powers still only affect a target chosen by the caster. For example, as the power is currently written, if a cleric uses Healing Word while the Lord of Envy is in the area of the burst, the Lord of Envy would be treated as an ally, but there is no reason for the cleric to choose the Lord of Envy as a target.

How about this instead:

It' All Mine! (Immediate Interrupt; recharge 5-6)
Close Burst 20
Trigger: The Lord of Envy is in the area of a close or area power with the Healing keyword.
Target: The originator of the triggering power
Attack: +28 vs Will
Hit: The triggering power has no effect and the Lord of Envy heals 216 hit points.
That sounds interesting, but it also sounds like an ability the Lord of Greed would have. Instead, I would make it to where the Lord of Envy gains the benefit as well as the original target. Make it more in line with someone that is envious of what others have.

Also, Salystra's Unholy Might actually needs a better duration on it. Does it end at the start or at the end of Garl'gax's next turn.

Son of Meepo, I appreciate your comments, but yeah, Cecil's thoughts are similar to mine. I envisioned the ability as echoing the Lord of Envy's desire to be included. It is true that it might not be as powerful as your iteration, but it will provide a nasty shock the first time, and thenceforth it'll hinder mass healings, which are more common at the level at which PCs would encounter the LOE.

Cecil, I did specify duration on that ability, didn't I? It says save ends, and the affect on allies is until the end of the LOE's next turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farland View Post
Cecil, I did specify duration on that ability, didn't I? It says save ends, and the affect on allies is until the end of the LOE's next turn.
Ah ok. I was referring to the ally effect which just states "Until the Lord of Envy's next turn." not start or end of the turn in either instance of its effects to allies.

I'd like to see some kind of immediate action defensive ability, perhaps one that negates a single attack by switching places with one of the PCs(though I would shy away from having said ability redirect the attack to the moved PC), or perhaps a move action recharge ability which teleports him and attacks enemies in sight, and those hit can't willingly attack the Lord of Envy, sort of an "I'm one of you!" ability. Either way, with no defensive or mobility powers, a solo controller fight is boring.

Salystra's Unholy Might needs a Targets Enemies note, and should be until the end of <monster>'s next turn.

Nest of Vipers should probably take effect on starting instead of ending; as is, it's fairly weak as a means of control, especially with the ability to use the pre-errata Dreadnought feature to escape.

Jealous Curse should add vulnerable 5 or 10 poison if the target has no resistance to poison or necrotic.

I Should Have It Too shouldn't be limited to only powers with the close or area keyword. You should just remove the first 4 words of the ability.

So powers with the healing keyword would heal him instead of damaging him. It makes it considerably more powerful... and devious. Hmmm....

Not really, since most non-close/area powers target creatures. Invigorating Smite, for example, would still deal damage, but the Lord of Envy would receive the healing if he were bloodied. With the previous wording, since it's a Melee power, it wouldn't be affected.