Congratulations Europe - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Congratulations Europe

Well, I think the Prize should have been awarded to someone making an effort in an ongoing conflict rather than being rewarded for not waring against each other. Both to set focus on the conflict and to provide a generous sum of prize money where it can do some good. The 1,7 million dollars won't save many Greeks.

Also, the committee leader has an agenda to promote EU, and as general secretary of the European Council, I consider him biased and frankly speaking too partial to be allowed to bestow the Peace Prize on EU.

You underestimate the accomplishment here. These people have made an effort in an ongoing conflict: Europe has had wars since the Roman era, it's basically been one ongoing conflict for two thousand years and they've managed to turn the tide of history itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlictoatl View Post
What's the general mood in Europe itself? Celebratory, reflective, proud, or is it more cynical and argumentative?
Well, there are European countries that are not bound up in the EU.
At least in Switzerland, I'd say responses ranging from head-scratching to cynicism are the most common responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
You underestimate the accomplishment here. These people have made an effort in an ongoing conflict: Europe has had wars since the Roman era, it's basically been one ongoing conflict for two thousand years and they've managed to turn the tide of history itself.
"Peace" for 70 years is turning the tide of history? And it's peace in Europe only if you ignore all conflicts East of Berlin of course, otherwise we'd have to look at the wars in Bosnia, Serbia etc. or the ex-USSR controlled regions.

So if you were being really cynical you might say it was rewarding peace in those European countries that have remained peaceful.

It maybe that the EU has helped strength the bonds between countries, this is an achievement, though we will never know what would have happened without it.
Personally I think the political aggression as well as the ethical, economic and constitutional harm done by the EU far outweigh it's benefits for peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasseram View Post
Also, the committee leader has an agenda to promote EU, and as general secretary of the European Council, I consider him biased and frankly speaking too partial to be allowed to bestow the Peace Prize on EU.
Yes indeed, and also a KGB contact in his day. And some people call us cynics..! With selflessness like this, how wrong must we be

Watching Europeans talk about the EU is so refreshing during the American election season. I want to see someone else have mindless battles between barely differing factions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnas View Post
Germany actually runs Europe via the EU so the Third Reich might get it's wish after all (albeit 60 years after trying force). They want to destroy the UK's banking sector in favour of putting all of UK banking in Germany.

This is a big deal because banking is the biggest sector in the UK after the manufacturing sector was made extinct in the mid 80s (anyone else remember the miner's strikes?). If our banking sector goes, we really will be up a certain brown stinky creek without canoe or paddle.

It costs us a load of money to be in the EU (50 or 500 million a year I'm not sure and the shower's about to be free so I want to jump on that) and we're not getting value for money from EU membership.

Sorry but I'm in favour of the UK going "auf wiedersehen" to the EU. It started out as free trade but has become a political farce controlled by Merkul (not seen her name spelt so may well have spelt it wrong) and her Teutonic cronies and until it goes back to it's roots I'm all for pulling out. I'd be happy to go back or stay if it went back to being a free trade system.

/end rant.

Apologies for the rant. EU politics makes my blood boil and Merkul is not popular with me because of what she's doing with/in the EU. I admire her for being clever but she's really abusing her gifts.
From my limited knowledge, UK isn't a part of EU since they don't use the euro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impfireball View Post
From my limited knowledge, UK isn't a part of EU since they don't use the euro.
It is..
Just like Denmark and Sweden, which both don't have the Euro, either.

Meh, ever since Obama got the Nobel peace prize for....being Obama, it has been reduced to the status of "fun but useless trinket". I can't exactly say I'm proud of this European "achievement".