Congratulations Europe - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Congratulations Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gygaxphobia View Post
Yes indeed, and also a KGB contact in his day. And some people call us cynics..! With selflessness like this, how wrong must we be
I didn't quite get your point here. First of all, he was not a spy or agent for the USSR. Like many social democrats at that time, he had meetings with KGB-agents, but that doesn't mean he provided the agency with valuable intel.
Secondly, supporting Europe in this way really speaks more against the interests of the former Soviet states/Russia.
Mind you, I'm still opposed to the idea of this guy leading the Nobel Peace Prize committee, I just didn't understand what you meant by this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdle View Post
Watching Europeans talk about the EU is so refreshing during the American election season. I want to see someone else have mindless battles between barely differing factions.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
Meh, ever since Obama got the Nobel peace prize for....being Obama, it has been reduced to the status of "fun but useless trinket". I can't exactly say I'm proud of this European "achievement".
I've a better one. What about when Henry Kissinger was awarded it? The man was responsible for organised torture and upholding dictatorships supportive of the West on a massive scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasseram View Post
I didn't quite get your point here. First of all, he was not a spy or agent for the USSR. Like many social democrats at that time, he had meetings with KGB-agents, but that doesn't mean he provided the agency with valuable intel.
Secondly, supporting Europe in this way really speaks more against the interests of the former Soviet states/Russia.
Mind you, I'm still opposed to the idea of this guy leading the Nobel Peace Prize committee, I just didn't understand what you meant by this statement.
Good question
I should have put the first sentence on a separate line, it was an additional criticism and didn't follow into the sarcastic remark about cynics. Apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdle View Post
Watching Europeans talk about the EU is so refreshing during the American election season. I want to see someone else have mindless battles between barely differing factions.
The best part is they're arguing about getting an award. Just smile and accept graciously and pretend the Nobel Peace committee knows what it's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gygaxphobia View Post
I can dig up the thread where Americans argue about Obama's Nobel if you like, although I haven't seen one yet on Lance Armstrong
Fair point, and Armstrong is not something I want to touch with a ten-foot-pole, mainly cause it disgusts me so much.