Movies of 2012 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Movies of 2012

Movies of 2012

What have you seen or plan on seeing?

So far I have had one hit and one miss this year. Sherlock Holmes 2 was a good solid movie. Not great but enjoyable for me. Unfortunately I picked The Grey this weekend instead of Chronicle or Safe House. Transformers III used to be my bar for bad movies now The Grey is battling it out for that title. At least Transformers III had good special effects, even if I had a hard time identifying the Transformers, and a good looking leading lady. They Grey was just depressing and the really cool scene where Liam Neeson tapes the bottles and the knife to his hands before fighting the wolf.

Wasnt Sherlock 2 late last year?

I have seen chronicle. Only movie do far this year and I thought it was really well done. Best movie of the "found footage" genre IMO.

I also saw Chronicle, and as someone who hates the shaky-cam style, I was surprised to really like it. For once, having everything from the perspective of an in-story camera feels more like a stylistic choice than a restriction. Although the story itself is pretty common in comics, it's really not one that's shown a lot in movies, at least as anything more than a flashback to show the villian's origins. Really liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
I also saw Chronicle, and as someone who hates the shaky-cam style, I was surprised to really like it. For once, having everything from the perspective of an in-story camera feels more like a stylistic choice than a restriction. Although the story itself is pretty common in comics, it's really not one that's shown a lot in movies, at least as anything more than a flashback to show the villian's origins. Really liked it.
The hand held camera filming style is keeping me away from this movie. I still have bad flash backs to the Blair Witch Project.

And yeah Sherlock Holmes was 2011, I didn't get out to see until January. So that puts me down to ZERO good movie experiences this year. Thanks Whitchslasher , one more reason to hate the fact that I went to see this movie.

Found footage always gets silly when they have to keep rationalizing why they're bringing a camera with them everywhere.. It's weird.. It's slightly better in Chronicle because it's not just done with one camera.. A majority is done with the same camera, but they have some scenes where it cuts to a random security camera or a cell phone camera, so that made it a little better. It brought back some of my fond memories of the Anime Akira

Getting back on topic, I can't wait to see Brave and The Hunger Games, both of which come out this March. The former looks promising, being made by the creators of Up, Finding Nemo, and Wall-E; and I read the trilogy the latter is based on, and the trailers make me hopeful that they've stayed true to the source material.

I, for one, cannot wait to see The Phantom Menace in 3D.

On a more serious note, there's The Dark Knight Rises, Avengers (just because), Prometheus (since I'm a Ripley fan), and of course The Hobbit. All of them I'm looking forward to.

Unsure of the Spiderman reboot and Wrath of the Titans. Might see the latter on a whim.

Heard that a Mass Effect movie was being released this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishra View Post
I, for one, cannot wait to see The Phantom Menace in 3D
That scene in the senate where they're debating the legality of a trade blockade around Naboo... Oh man.. In 3D! Doesn't get much better than that..

I'm right there with you on Brave. The trailer for it looks great. I can't wait for The Avengers or The Hobbit. Those are the big three for me this year.

Prometheus because Ripley Scott should have been making more of that if anyone was.