4E: The Dweller in the Wintervale - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4E: The Dweller in the Wintervale

4E: The Dweller in the Wintervale

Alright, before I post stats, I have one question. Is there any precedent for a power similar to what I'm envisioning? Basically I want her to have a power wherein she makes three simultaneous attack rolls. Each separate attack roll does damage and each gives a condition that a save can end. A failed save versus each attack roll causes separate worsening of the conditions. If not, how would I write this up?

BTW, she is to be 35th level.

Looking at some other powers, I think it would be possible to put something together like this.

* There are powers that have effects of "Make a secondary attack", so we can use that to simulate the multiple attack rolls.
* There are some conditions, similar to diseases, that read "and the target is effected by NAME (save ends). While effected, target is EFFECT/ONGOING, and that increased to ADDITIONAL on the first failed save."

So, it is a single attack power with "damage and named status condition". The power then has an effect of "Make a secondary attack" with another "on hit" with damage, and another differently named effect. Repeat for the tertiary attack.

Now, the rolls are not "simultaneous", but they all take place in one power. And as the additional attacks are effects (not "on hit"), they will always be rolled.

As each effect is named, it can be referenced separately, saved separately, and worsen separately. You can also take her other powers and give them "if the target is also effected by NAMED EFFECT, then..." riders.

Is that along the lines of what you are considering?

Maybe start with a power like Agera's (from Dungeon 169) Hellish Wrath.

Hellish Wrath - At Will
Effect: Agera makes three basic attacks.

Try Mordain the Fleshweaver from Dragon 372 or the Eberron Campaign setting for his Stinging Tentacle power which has a condition with a test that changes its effect.

Stinging Tentacle (standard, at-will)
Reach 3; +26 vs AC; 2d8+2 damage, and the target is slowed and takes ongoing 10 damage (save ends both). If the target is already slowed, it is dazed instead.

He also has a power that has an aftereffect which may be useful and a similar power to Agera's.

Good ideas, guys. You've gotten the ball rolling. I will post stats for the Dweller soon. Please critique when I do.

Okay, this is what I was thinking about for the Dweller's main power. The Dweller will be a level 35 controller, BTW.

Main attackAll the Ages of the World (acid, cold, psychic) * Recharge 6
Attack: Close blast 10 (enemies); +39 vs. will
Hit: 2d12+10 psychic damage and the target is dazed (save ends). First failed save: The target is stunned instead of dazed (save ends). Second failed save: The target takes ongoing 30 poison and psychic damage in addition to being stunned (save ends both).
Effect: The Dweller makes a secondary attack.
Attack: +39 vs. Reflex.
Hit: 2d12+10 acid damage and the target is weakened (save ends). First failed save: The target is blinded instead of weakened (save ends). Second failed save: The target gains vulnerable 30 to all damage instead of being blinded (save ends).
Effect: The Dweller makes a tertiary attack.
Attack: +39 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 2d12 + 10 cold damage and the target is slowed (save ends). First failed save: The target is restrained instead of slowed (save ends). Second failed save: The target is petrified (no save).

Comments?

You don't want a recharge 6. They're too swingy. Make it recharge when bloodied, or triggered off of something else.

Consider also having one attack affect all three defenses, as in Prismatic Spray.

The effects also seem a little off. The top and bottom clearly have a progression of increasing severity, but the Reflex attack goes from Weakened to Blinded to Vulnerable. Weakened is bad for most characters, while Blinded is less bad for a decent number, and Vulnerable, for some characters, is no penalty at all. Consider having them add together instead.

Thanks for the comments, Sith. What would the write-up of that look like?

I wish we had something similar to the disease track, but for items that take effect quickly. Like this power, or some rapid, progressive poisons.

Perhaps it could be written as a disease but with a special exception (and/or maybe a keyword):
Fast Acting: Track progression using standard save rules. This includes class features and powers that grant additional saves. Failed saves causes character to worsen along disease track.
Special: Can not be cured by the "Cure Disease" ritual.

That gives you the structure and flexibility of the disease template, but progression tracking using standard saves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farland View Post
Thanks for the comments, Sith. What would the write-up of that look like?
Adjusting your Relfex attack per Sith's comments:

Attack: +39 vs. Reflex.
Hit: 2d12+10 acid damage and the target is weakened (save ends). First failed save: The target is weakened and blinded (save ends both). Second failed save: The target is weakened, blinded, and gains Vulnerable All 30 (save ends all).
Effect: The Dweller makes a tertiary attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithobi1 View Post
You don't want a recharge 6. They're too swingy. Make it recharge when bloodied, or triggered off of something else.
By "swingy" I assume you mean she could get only 1 attack with this in an encounter, or it could recharge every round, depending on what the dice roller felt like that afternoon, right?

So you need to decide just how deadly you want this to be, and adjust it accordingly. An automatic recharge on bloodied could work much like the Bloodied Breath of dragons: Recharge when first bloodied and uses it immediately as a free action (ouch). Triggered recharges can happen off various events: sacrificing a minion, she scores a critical hit, she takes some penalty to herself. The recharge on crit shares the recharge on 6 foible of being "swingy", where the other two are based on tactics.

I think we'd need to see the rest of her stat block before we can recommend which way to go.