Independence Movements - Page 6 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Independence Movements

True enough, Luneleck, true enough, they were British troops at the time (and damned good ones at that). Yet wasn't Ross buried in Canada, afterwards, and the troops given Canadian land of their own? I think there's a good reason why Canada (who called for British aid) is happy to claim partial credit - the troops who took advantage of the offer of Canadian land of their own formed the backbone of future Canadian armies. :-)

You know Cthulhu, I remember reading somewhere that the plans for the Royal family were to shift them to Canada and shift governance there in WW2 in case things went south over in Europe. Can't remember where it was though.

And, just so you all know, I always have plans for invading England as the Americans. I do it every time I start a game of Empire: Total War

/OT: That game rocks. Rome Total War 2 is going to be epic.

There were probably plans to flee to Canada too but I think the Germans had plans of their own to install Edward VIII as King after invading. Or at least some wacky History Channel show speculated as such if what I remember isn't fact so much as speculation. But whether real or not War Plan Red-Orange postulated a two ocean war against Japan and England and contributed quite a bit to real war efforts in WWII when we were faced with a two ocean war.

The military has to do something, I'm okay with planning and training for a variety of situations that hopefully never occur. A plan now to invade XYZ might come in handy if they have to deliver a few million tons of humanitarian supplies instead of tanks after some huge natural disaster on short notice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2701965.stm

Article The second was that some felt that the new King was too sympathetic to Nazi Germany.

Following Edward's accession, the German embassy in London sent a cable for the personal attention of Hitler himself.

In part, it read: "An alliance between Germany and Britain is for him (the King) an urgent necessity."

Alan Lascelles, Edward's private secretary, gave his own harsh judgment of the situation.

"The best thing that could happen to him would be for him to break his neck."

Within the year Edward, pressurised by the Church of England, the government and royal courtiers, decided to abdicate.

In October 1937, Edward and his wife - by now the Duke and Duchess of Windsor - visited Nazi Germany.

They met Hitler, dined with his deputy, Rudolf Hess, and even visited a concentration camp.

I imagine there could be a plausible alt history novel written postulating him never having abdicated the throne and tried to move England to ally with Germany. How much power did English Kings have in the 1930's? Anyway, the turns and twists that history did take are always more believable than the ones they didn't.

Has Texas been mentioned? It's pretty fringe but probably the most active state to mention it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Secession_Movement

Well the British Monarch chooses the Prime Minster technically, though the last time they had a real decision to make because it was not a democratically decreed choice was in 1940 - when George VI appointed Churchill.

The other side to he story about Edward VIII was that the Nazi Government did not expect Britain to take a significant stand against their empire building (because of their historic and cultural ties - mainly in that they shared France as an enemy), so Edward himself was only a contingency thought.

Scotland and the referendum deal.

Scotland has two years in front of it to convince its voters before the 'Yes' or 'No' referendum on whether they still want to be part of the union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhorn View Post
You know Cthulhu, I remember reading somewhere that the plans for the Royal family were to shift them to Canada and shift governance there in WW2 in case things went south over in Europe. Can't remember where it was though.
I think it was all just a ploy to set up Britannia! The royal family was watching a little too much anime....

Britannia, %&*# Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOTlT6X5MVg

Quote:
I could see a future that was comprised of smaller states with a relational sense of national unity, but I'm not aware of any organizing principle anyone has yet thought of that would allow that to come to pass peacefully.
Or maybe corporate unity, and I bet some tourist hot spots will always continue to advertise the history of each location (so, find unity in that, I guess). Unity is hard to describe though - unity in what? Still taxed on the federal level?

China has exactly that, closely linked provinces with a central government. A state defined by culture and heritage rather than what we normally think of as a nation.

I realize it's an old topic, but I felt it would be worth while to put up one of the latest pieces:

Catalonia is votes on Sunday in independence referendum.