Independence Movements - Page 7 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Independence Movements

Unfortunately I don't see this leading to much. I guess there's a possibility they'll be allowed some powers to be devolved. The problem is that countries tend to not be big fans of ever losing land and when it's one of the wealthiest parts of the country they're never going to go for it.

There has been strong feeling about it in Catalonia over the years so I think there's a decent chance they'll vote in favour. I'll be watching with interest to see how things develop but predict much political posturing and little in the way of actual results. My mum is currently living there and she hasnt mentioned this at all which leads me to believe there probably hasnt been a huge amount of publicity on the issue. I guess they must suffer from the same levels of voter apathy that plagues much of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogie View Post
I guess they must suffer from the same levels of voter apathy that plagues much of the world!
Or more likely that for a vocal minority it is a big issue whereas for the majority it is not. Whether the vocal minority can agitate sufficient support and whether the active opposition can mobilise enough supporters of the status quo tends to be the essence of these kinds of referendums.