The Cutter [DnD3.5 Homebrew Base Class] - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The Cutter [DnD3.5 Homebrew Base Class]

The Cutter [DnD3.5 Homebrew Base Class]

Ok, so here's my first attempt at homebrew. Fluff and stuff will come when I have more time and after the mechanics are solidified. What do you guys think? My inspiration is the Fire Emblem myrmidon.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Cutter.doc (45.5 KB, 0 views)

It is an ok class if a bit boring.

You should fix deadly precision since its wording kinda implies that the threat range for stuff increases each time a weapon is added to the cutters proficiency list.

What do you mean by boring?
Fixed the wording. Incidentally, how do I make a Class chart in a post?

Instead of the "Steady hand" class feature, I'd just give them the Weapon Finesse feat. If you absolutely must give them the ability to use DEX to hit on nonlight weapons, give them a class feature that reads like this:

Steady Hand (ex): The cutter may apply the the Weapon Finesse feat to non-light weapons.

Or create a new feat ("Improved Weapon Finesse") that allows this ability. The reason I suggest these options is that they are more "plug-and-play" with the existing system. Also, if you run a campaign, other classes that love Weapon Finesse - like the Rogue - can also benefit. As for DEX to damage, I think you could probably just add it on top of STR, rather than making it an either-or proposition.

I should also mention that the Disciple of Dispater (BoVD) does sort of the same thing as this class, with regards to making the character into a crit monster. There's also a spell (Golem Strike?) that allows precision damage and crits (I think?) against Constructs, at the very least.

By "Boring Class", I think Dominicius means that it's a full BAB melee class with a few buffs, but not very many combat options. It doesn't have any bonus feats, so it won't be able to Bull rush or Trip or Disarm like a fighter could; it doesn't have Spellcasting like a Paladin, Ranger, Psychic Warrior, or Duskblade; it doesn't have maneuvers and stances like the ToB classes, nor Rage like a Barbarian.

None of the classes I just mentioned are considered top-tier, but what they do have are mechanics that can liven up the monotonous routine of "I move and attack" or "I five-foot step and full attack"; they can self-buff with Rage or Spells and Powers, or they can use combat options like tripping and disarming. With the right feats and skill tricks they can run up walls, dive onto enemies, feint as a move action...

In short, they have options - plural. The cutter has one option.

I do like the idea of a class that fights with panache, creating a whirlwind of slashing fury. However, if you look at the Swashbuckler, Invisible Blade, and Dervish (I think they're all in Complete Warrior?), in addition to the Disciple of Dispater I already mentioned, you'll see that many of these character elements already exist in reasonably-playable form.

Well, all the classes you mentioned (except Swashbuckler, which isn't really what I'm aiming for) are Prestige classes. What I;m trying to make is, simply, a base class that is good at critical hits.
So, I should add bonus feats and/or self-buffs and/or spellcasting?

I guess what I'm saying is that the Cutter class is somewhat redundant. Base classes should give characters broad functionality, which they then specialize with Feats, Skills, ACFs, and Prestige Classes:

A member of the Fighter class could be, for example, a front-line combatant with a Greatsword. They could be an archer, or a spiked chain-tripper, a Dungeon Crasher who bull-rushes a lot, or a mounted warrior with a lance. I don't believe the Cutter has that kind of variety - and that's compared to one of the worst base classes in 3.5.

Also the Warblade class already has this:

Battle Ardor (Ex): The sheer love of battle lends uncanny strength to your blows. Starting at 3rd level, you gain an insight bonus equal to your Intelligence bonus on rolls made to confirm critical hits.

I'm not really intending to be mean, but I'm just not sure I see a valid niche for the character you're trying to create. A little judicious multi-classing, and you can get much the same effect with a better set of class features.

If you're hell-bent on making this class, I would not suggest that you add spells or self-buffs and call it a day. Other classes exist that already do those things pretty well. I would suggest looking through existing D&D material for critical-hit related abilities, and adding them to the class at appropriate levels (I hope you've a very good grasp of the rules; I couldn't do this!)

The Nimblewright (it's in one of the Monster Manuals) has, for example, a Tripping Thrust ability that automatically trips an opponent when it scores a critical hit. That's an ability your Cutter class could use to great effect.

Presenting, Cutter 2.0. Changes include 3 additional class skills, 6 bonus feats, and a class feature.
The file is in the first post.