Wargame PbP? - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Wargame PbP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by impfireball View Post
Sorry to say: I'd be interested in your game if it wasn't D&D. As it stands, that game eschews all realism in favour of wondrous items that can knock down castle walls for free (or discover some other exploit). Also, the crafting mechanics involve just a little bit too many numbers for my liking. No thanks.
Lol, understandable. I've been working on a side project of my own to handle some of these issues for a malleable simplistic rpg that can double as a mass scale wargame. However, when you try to put forward something like this, you just don't get interest like you do with utilizing a popular, well known system that's readily available and has so many people using it as DnD/PF does.

Yeah, that's too bad. D&D is really unecessarily clumsy for anything but what it was intended for.

You should work on the project and share it with me. I'll critique it however I can. Hopefully, we can find some more pure wargame enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impfireball View Post
The reason I made this thread is because I made another thread that focused on economy building with a side of wargame, and it didn't get a lot of attention.
yeah... I vaguely remember it. I gave it a pass. something about it seemed unsatisfactory but I can't say I remember what.

I like squad based tactical games. This might not be your cup of tea, but I greatly enjoyed Crux Europa: Lionhearts, which was a home-brew game based on the bullethazard system. Again, not simulationist. But it was fun.

Nation Wars was pretty sweet too, although it was more civ than tactics.

I too like squad base game, but Wargames for some reason are harder to PnP then say normal RPGS (Micro managing in think, do to the fact that you can't "see" the map)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrus View Post
Lol, understandable. I've been working on a side project of my own to handle some of these issues for a malleable simplistic rpg that can double as a mass scale wargame. However, when you try to put forward something like this, you just don't get interest like you do with utilizing a popular, well known system that's readily available and has so many people using it as DnD/PF does.
I was trying to come up with something like that myself. A game system that would have simple, quick mass combat rules but also deeper rules for really small groups or one on one duels.

Id be interested in seeing what you came up with.

I'm working on some actual wargame mechanics, so stay tuned for maybe the next week, when this thread will get updated.

Or I'll provide a link to creative concepts - which might not actually happen, given the lack of traffic to creative concepts.

Actually psathfinder has rules for quick and dirty mass combat as well as kingdom building and having a caravan. Haven't used the rules and they are really more of a backdrop for traditional roleplaying than wargaming, but I am sure these rules can be tweeked.

When you say realistic do you mean WWIIi or nepolean wars or just less fantasy so necromundua or Infiniti type games? And since it is a pop it could deal with economy as well so it is more RTS or civil type game play?