Site Policy: Mature Content - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Site Policy: Mature Content

Site Policy: Mature Content

I recently opened an Ad for a Black Crusade game and within the first day a question was raised regarding the umm... darker content.

As a game, the adventures are about evil characters so evil things and mature content are only to be expected but because it is 40k, an already dark and evil universe, the "bad" side of things tend to be quite extreme. The issue is that its not just graphic violence, but also occassional sexual themes. Another issue is that the PC's are not what one would consider sane so I imagine the skewed way of thinking might be a problem for the younger site users.

I was informed that the site has a general PG-13 policy but to be true to the game I think I am going to have to exceed that rating.

I have advertised the game as one containing Mature Content but I was curious if that will suffice or if I need to take more extreme measures. Can I run this game with a few conditions from the site? Or should I just abandon the project?

I was thinking once the players were selected I could make it so only those approved may view the content. As a rule, I would not allow any readers.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to view this query and I look forward to your response.

I doubt they'll let you. For one, the advertisers object, and two, its just not the site they want to run.

Just a question, but why even support the system/setting if it can't truly be run?

Without letting it be explicit, you are removing one of the Chaos gods from the book entirely as he is devoted entirely to hedonism and excess. Also, as a side effect, you're dooming the genre to being one of those stories about evil where the bad guy is really good at heart. He is just misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemtael View Post
Just a question, but why even support the system/setting if it can't truly be run?

Without letting it be explicit, you are removing one of the Chaos gods from the book entirely as he is devoted entirely to hedonism and excess. Also, as a side effect, you're dooming the genre to being one of those stories about evil where the bad guy is really good at heart. He is just misunderstood.
Killing in cold blood is PG-13. Limited torture also falls into this range. Gracious sexual content is not and leads to some of the strangest posts in "worst RPG experiences" threads. Also, the admins usually don't care about swearing as long as it's not used maliciously OOC.

Ah, I see.

So would the loophole be that the acts can be refrenced, just not explicitly described?

Yes things can be implied but not described. Use your discretion. Generally if a casual reader has a chance of having a Squicky reaction then you probably shouldn't be typing it.

Quote:
Ah, I see.

So would the loophole be that the acts can be refrenced, just not explicitly described?
I would stay away from rape (don't let the players do it and don't let it happen to them) and the like, but acts of violence are fine if not super-vivid. Ex. We cut off his fingers until he told us vs. a description of each finger being cut off.

Quote:
Ah, I see.

Within reasonable limits. Think Hitchcock's Psycho vs Saw and I think you'll be OK.

I know the mods are greatly opposed to sexual themes. Violence I think is okay as long as it is in within reason.