Eberron - What books to get? - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Eberron - What books to get?

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to order Races.

I back the recommendation on Races of Eberron, it really flushes out the world quite a lot. After that, it will really depend on where you would like to run your campaign. I typically run mine around Xendrik (the continent where giants once fought the dragons, what more of a plot hook can you ask for?), so Secrets of Xendrik was quite helpful to me

Secrets of Sarlona has a lot of great stuff on the inspired, if you want to do a 1984-esque game.

Races +1

Players Guide seems to be getting a bad rap which I'm not sure it deserves. It is different than most of the other Eberron books in that its not focused on a specific region but instead, for the most part, focuses on some major aspect of the world/setting over a sampling of all the nations. It covers the universities, the talenta halflings, the valenar elves, Droaam and the goblinoids. It's a ton of fluff with little crunchy bits interspersed. A new material that counts as dealing magic damage as an (Ex) ability is great if you're in an AMF for example. I wouldn't put it in the top 5 but depending on your play style I might put it in the top 10. *shrug*

There are feats scattered throughout it that aren't necessarily the strongest/best but many of them are very colorful and situationally useful. Three more shifter feats, a couple more warforged feats, some arcane feats that are interesting, etc.

Edit: I think the worst part about the book is it's organization... there isn't really any. That makes it hard to find the stuff you might find useful but if you take the time to skim through it and read the suitable bits for you it might be more useful than you first thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfte View Post
Races +1

Players Guide seems to be getting a bad rap which I'm not sure it deserves. It is different than most of the other Eberron books in that its not focused on a specific region but instead, for the most part, focuses on some major aspect of the world/setting over a sampling of all the nations. It covers the universities, the talenta halflings, the valenar elves, Droaam and the goblinoids. It's a ton of fluff with little crunchy bits interspersed. A new material that counts as dealing magic damage as an (Ex) ability is great if you're in an AMF for example. I wouldn't put it in the top 5 but depending on your play style I might put it in the top 10. *shrug*

There are feats scattered throughout it that aren't necessarily the strongest/best but many of them are very colorful and situationally useful. Three more shifter feats, a couple more warforged feats, some arcane feats that are interesting, etc.

Edit: I think the worst part about the book is it's organization... there isn't really any. That makes it hard to find the stuff you might find useful but if you take the time to skim through it and read the suitable bits for you it might be more useful than you first thought!
My thoughts exactly. PGtE's indexing is horrible. The crunch is buried in with the fluff, making looking anything up a pain. I do adore the Gatekeeper Mystagogue, even if it is basically taking your druid and shooting it in the foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
My thoughts exactly. PGtE's indexing is horrible. The crunch is buried in with the fluff, making looking anything up a pain. I do adore the Gatekeeper Mystagogue, even if it is basically taking your druid and shooting it in the foot.
Well, it's not so bad if you make an adjustment or two, but yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Well, it's not so bad if you make an adjustment or two, but yeah.
A druid with it's foot shot is still better than 9/10 characters out there mind you. I'm not complaining, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
A druid with it's foot shot is still better than 9/10 characters out there mind you. I'm not complaining, really.
I know. I'm just saying.