US Presidential Election Results thread - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

US Presidential Election Results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhorn View Post
If on the other hand Obama manages to win, I see a massive sales boost for firearms and ammunition manufacturers,
I bought this sweet gun after the 2008 election along with a good number of high capacity magazines. The scary looking weapons ban wasn't passed a second time but I would have bought it anyway, I just did it a bit earlier than I would have if McCain had won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjowolf View Post
Training Sir. The lads aren't ready yet. They need more training. Maybe in a few years they'll be ready to march on Richmond.
By that point you might as well send your next request for an offensive operation to Jefferson Davis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Painting him as a brave martyr who sacrificed a second term to bring the ignorant masses something they don't want (Obamacare) but will love after they're dependent on it is also likely to happen. "He cares more about a $9/mo co-pay on birth control pills than his own re-election." /swoon
I still don't understand the negativity towards socialized medicine.

Probably best to save the specifics for a different topic and just acknowledge differences exist in this one.

It does, however, bring to mind one of my favorite philosophy quotes (and best reasons for bothering with this forum).

“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.” - John Stuart Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Why do we keep acting surprised when this happens every election cycle? The issues might change but politics has always been dirty and conniving.
Except party lines are becoming more and more solid with each election. And I'm expressing dissent. It's a shame no one will actually change something. Not being old enough to run yet, I certainly can't do it myself.

This is where I get all my knowledge

KNOWLEDGE ROCKS!

I have no faith in Romney but he gets my vote because he is not Obama.

I preferred Burke and Bentham myself (each for different reasons), but JSM certainly had a gift for finding the right words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
Except party lines are becoming more and more solid with each election. And I'm expressing dissent. It's a shame no one will actually change something. Not being old enough to run yet, I certainly can't do it myself.
You say you're young so I understand where the view comes from but from my experience it's not more and more solid, maybe the last few but there are certainly shifts anyway. From 2001-2009 the Democrats were quite Anti-War, that went away the minute it was Obama dropping the bombs. That's one easy shift to point out.

I found something from a month ago or so that was instructive to me if you're interested in it. http://www.salon.com/2012/10/10/cami...tering_images/ She goes into quite a few things but the transformation of the parties is one thing the touches on as she explains why she's voting Green instead of for Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
You say you're young so I understand where the view comes from but from my experience it's not more and more solid, maybe the last few but there are certainly shifts anyway. From 2001-2009 the Democrats were quite Anti-War, that went away the minute it was Obama dropping the bombs. That's one easy shift to point out.
Ehh...I don't like allies or innocents of any sort being killed. So, as long as the bombs are dropping on the enemy, go ahead. Drones, well, I'm not sure how I feel. If we can get them to be better (accuracy-wise and whatnot), then I'm all for 'em, but I don't like the civilian risk.