Making the Arcane Archer Not Suck - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Making the Arcane Archer Not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam View Post
Let's see here...

Split Arrow comes in at L6, so there's a minimum level requirement of 12th to pick this up. At that point you'd have a BAB of +12 and a primary attack stat of at least +6 if not more. Add in Weapon Focus and other sundries, and you're probably looking at a regular archer coming up with a +20-+22 modifier to hit. They spent all their offensive-weaponry cash on a +2 Splitting Longbow, have Rapid Shot (obviously) and Improved Rapid Shot, plus some means of obtaining haste or a similar effect (since they're a volley archer). This gives them five attacks, which count as ten, each dealing 1d8 plus 4-8 depending on Str mod and choice of bow enchantment.

The Arcane Archer, using all of the same, can instead spring for a +3 Collision Longbow at the precise same price, and then stacks their +3 Imbue Arrow atop that. An additional +3 to hit and additional +8 to damage on all ten of those arrows.

(I suppose you might say my objection here is the potential combination of two class features!)
At the time the character gets Split Arrow, they only have access to the original Imbue Arrow, which requires a full standard action to fire 1 arrow with a spell attached to it. Thus, can't be used during a full action.

So, ultimately you're concerned that, at level 12, an archer is potentially going to get an extra 80 damage on a full attack?

I'd say the real abuse doesn't come in until the capstone ability, where you can basically launch those same 10+ arrows, but with a fireball attached to each and every one of them.

Of course, at that point you're level 16+, so I would hope you could do something epic like that.

Now that I think about it, I probably need to add a Swift Action onto Split Arrow, or I need to make the arrows that split off not carry any spells granted by Improved Imbue Arrow.

You were specifically asking about my objection to Enhance Arrow and why it should potentially not stack, so all I was looking at was the flat to-hit and damage boost that it could potentially grant.

But yep, your splitting imbued full 10 or 12 shots would be considerably more of a concern than your splitting enhanced stackage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam View Post
You were specifically asking about my objection to Enhance Arrow and why it should potentially not stack, so all I was looking at was the flat to-hit and damage boost that it could potentially grant.
I was asking if there would be any imbalance or abuse. I don't really see your situation as either, so I don't have a problem with it.

Quote:
But yep, your splitting imbued full 10 or 12 shots would be considerably more of a concern than your splitting enhanced stackage.
I'll wait to get opinions from a few others before I make any changes. I want to make sure I'm not jumping the gun.

Alrighty

Make the Splitting ability not carry the charge from Imbue Arrow. It does get a bit ridiculous if you keep it as-is.

That said, keep it working for Arrow of Death.

I thought so, too. I'll wait and see if anybody else wants to chime in before I make any changes.

What do you think about making Imbue into area/touch only?

I don't see it being an issue being single target/touch/area, although admittedly, Telekinesis would be wierd...

Touch/Area should be fine, as those are usually the ones you want the extra range on.

Hilarious thought: Arcane Archer shooting the melee guy with Greater Consumptive Field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
I don't see it being an issue being single target/touch/area, although admittedly, Telekinesis would be wierd...

Touch/Area should be fine, as those are usually the ones you want the extra range on.
I'm more concerned with avoiding stuff like 5+ arrows of Finger of Death, or Disintigrate, or Scorching Ray.

Can you imagine that? 5+ arrows with +28d6 tacked on to each of them? Forcing an enemy to make a Fort save 5+ times per round to avoid instant death?

At least whittling it down to touch/area only kinda makes the ridiculousness more manageable, I think.

A gentle reminder of were to post homebrew content - and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaming Discussion Guide
Homebrew content's home is now in the wiki, where it can be better-displayed and revisions tracked. Discussions on that content may still take place here. Place a link in the wiki article to the thread and in the thread's first post link back to the wiki main page.