Tablet apps for DMs - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Tablet apps for DMs

Ahhhh yes the legalities.

Damn them. I don't think they see how much it would further improve their sales.

Ease of use for customers should be a primary concern.

Yeah, I haven't been playing table top style games for very long, but from what I've seen so far, customer convenience and accessibility apparently isn't even on their list of priorities.
Especially when dealing with the modern digital media.

But any way, Keeping on track, I did find an interesting one on the Google play store. Its a random table generator for a buck called Archivist Elements. Seems pretty handy.

Perhaps opportunity is knocking here.

The weave has a very experienced player base. If an enterprising player who could write an app (not me by a long shot) got a feature list from GM's on this web site, it seems to me like he could get the initial rounds of beta testing done without making a general release using folks from here.

At that point shopping it to the major companies who already have OGL (indicative of a slightly more open mindset?) products might get you past the lawyers. Companies hate technology that surprises them. Bringing them in on a product that is halfway to proven with their customer base might get you past that reaction.

If I could code I would be seriously considering it.

Im actually taking a Games Design course this year that I believe does include Game Apps for Iphone and Android.

Wouldn't be a stretch to shift my focus to Apps that assist games rather than be a game themselves.

Interesting.

As Chivalry and Sorcery involves simultaneous actions, I have developed a javascript page which allows players to select actions, which create events which will occur over the next several seconds(turns). The events are placed in a queue and as the events occur they pop out the queue simultaneously. The basics of this program are in place, but there is much more to do yet.

That would be kind of an interesting idea. Something like starting a community project to make the ideal DM Assistant program.
I dabble in a little bit of graphic design so I might be able to assist with layout visuals and such if something like that got started.
Might be a bit ambitious but it it does sound fun.
Could start a thread to ask DMs what they would most want in such a program? Compile a list and work through the features one at a time?