the barbarian trials - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

the barbarian trials

Lord Anki, I finally got time to read the rest of the story. I am thoroughly enjoying it. I do have some constructive criticism though. I found the fight between the seven barbarian youth and the four Ettin to be a little too fantastic. Perhaps I shouldn't use D&D rules as a ruler against which I measure your story, but in D&D four Ettin would have obliterated 7 level 1 barbarians...

I think Lord Anki was trying to suggest that the special magical spear played a large role in their success in that fight. It must have some power.

Hey, I just read the story. I like it so far, and i am curious to see how they deal with the hellhound. Is the next part coming out this month?

Hey, I just read the story. I like it so far, and i am curious to see how they deal with the hellhound. Is the next part coming out this month?

The final part is out now and I would love to hear all of your constructive criticism. I have also begun writing a sequel to it but that won't be out for a few months.

The final part is out now and I would love to hear all of your constructive criticism. I have also begun writing a sequel to it but that won't be out for a few months.

Lord Anki, I finally got time to read the rest of the story. I am thoroughly enjoying it. I do have some constructive criticism though. I found the fight between the seven barbarian youth and the four Ettin to be a little too fantastic. Perhaps I shouldn't use D&D rules as a ruler against which I measure your story, but in D&D four Ettin would have obliterated 7 level 1 barbarians. I'm worried about the monster that destroyed the village. I'm worried that you're gonna allow the barbarian boys to kill it when their older brothers, fathers, and such all seasoned woarriors were slaughtered. It just doesn't seem realistic to me. I will await your outcome though. Hope you don't mind me being frank. Keep up the good work.

Okay since Farland already took up on this point I'll add my reasoning.

First lets talk about the ettin battle. Yes I know in normal D&D 4 Ettins would have surely killed 7 level 1 barbarians. But the barbarians arn't level 1 if you put them in D&D terms. I like to think of them more as around level 3 or 4 and yes the spear did play a good part along with tactics. You rarely see tactics in a D&D game which I think is a big part about battles. Its all about tactics. The barbarians helped each other out and were able to defeat the ettins.

Now, the hell hound. I'm sure everyone has already finished reading it. The hell hound could only be defeated by the Spear of Frost which in my opnion is probably +2 or +3. I tried to stay away from D&D throughout the story and just go with fantasy and how I wanted to write the story. I kinda felt like I was ripping off Drizzt vs Errtu in the battle by it being a hellhound being destroyed by a spear of frost isntead of a demon being destroyed by a sword of frost but I incorporated tactics in the final two battles. The first one the elves and barbarians were careful because they knew that if they had charged the beast like the seasoned barbarians did then they would've taken heavy casualties. With them being tactical they took two casualties. The final battle more got severe burns and only Larin died because the beast stayed on top of him and burned his entire body.

Lord Anki, I finally got time to read the rest of the story. I am thoroughly enjoying it. I do have some constructive criticism though. I found the fight between the seven barbarian youth and the four Ettin to be a little too fantastic. Perhaps I shouldn't use D&D rules as a ruler against which I measure your story, but in D&D four Ettin would have obliterated 7 level 1 barbarians. I'm worried about the monster that destroyed the village. I'm worried that you're gonna allow the barbarian boys to kill it when their older brothers, fathers, and such all seasoned woarriors were slaughtered. It just doesn't seem realistic to me. I will await your outcome though. Hope you don't mind me being frank. Keep up the good work.

Okay since Farland already took up on this point I'll add my reasoning.

First lets talk about the ettin battle. Yes I know in normal D&D 4 Ettins would have surely killed 7 level 1 barbarians. But the barbarians arn't level 1 if you put them in D&D terms. I like to think of them more as around level 3 or 4 and yes the spear did play a good part along with tactics. You rarely see tactics in a D&D game which I think is a big part about battles. Its all about tactics. The barbarians helped each other out and were able to defeat the ettins.

Now, the hell hound. I'm sure everyone has already finished reading it. The hell hound could only be defeated by the Spear of Frost which in my opnion is probably +2 or +3. I tried to stay away from D&D throughout the story and just go with fantasy and how I wanted to write the story. I kinda felt like I was ripping off Drizzt vs Errtu in the battle by it being a hellhound being destroyed by a spear of frost isntead of a demon being destroyed by a sword of frost but I incorporated tactics in the final two battles. The first one the elves and barbarians were careful because they knew that if they had charged the beast like the seasoned barbarians did then they would've taken heavy casualties. With them being tactical they took two casualties. The final battle more got severe burns and only Larin died because the beast stayed on top of him and burned his entire body.

Yeah Anki, I think the last part of the story effectively put any fears I had to rest and since I haven't read Drizzt vs Ertu, it didn't bother me in the least and I thought it was quite clever. I'd say you did a great job tying it all up. I think if you get around to another one, it would be helpful to write the story all together, beacuse I wanted to be really upset that latrin died, but it had been so long since I read the first parts, that i had to struggle to remember what he was all about. Anyway, great ending and good job all around. Thanks for the input to the site.

Yeah Anki, I think the last part of the story effectively put any fears I had to rest and since I haven't read Drizzt vs Ertu, it didn't bother me in the least and I thought it was quite clever. I'd say you did a great job tying it all up. I think if you get around to another one, it would be helpful to write the story all together, beacuse I wanted to be really upset that latrin died, but it had been so long since I read the first parts, that i had to struggle to remember what he was all about. Anyway, great ending and good job all around. Thanks for the input to the site.

Poor Larin. :( But great story! Well done!

My favorite bit was...

the image of the hellhound incinerating arrows before they could hit it. That was cool. Or, rather, hot.