Movies of 2012 - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Movies of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbreonMessiah View Post
This would imply there was ever pleasure in watching the Phantom Menace, a serious faux-pas.

Please don't traumatize your children. Please don't feed the George Lucas machine. Just don't go see it. Get a VHS copy of the original Star Wars movies and watch those instead
I took my kids to see to. They rather enjoyed it. Pleasure was had.

I was blown away by the original Star Wars trilogy when my dad first sat me down to watch it about 16 years ago. If you've raised your children to be intelligent people that care about story and characters, they'll still love it. The prequels are great for visual effects and general eye-candy, but the story and dialogue is pretty horrendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
The prequels are great for visual effects and general eye-candy, but the story and dialogue is pretty horrendous.
This. I won't be going to see it (mainly the suck factor, but also because I want Lucas to stop tinkering with the movies and leave them the **** alone).

That said, I am so looking forward to Avengers, Prometheus, Dark Knight Rises, Hobbit, and Rock of Ages.

The Hobbit! Peter Jackson even doing the normal Hollywood "make the story mine crap" makes a great movie.

I want to see The Vow, Avengers, Dark_Knight, and This Means War.

I'm also going to see Breaking Dawn part 2, but only to heckle it with my girlfriends.

Heckle is a fun word. More people should use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Rose View Post
I want to see The Vow, Avengers, Dark_Knight, and This Means War.

I'm also going to see Breaking Dawn part 2, but only to heckle it with my girlfriends.

Heckle is a fun word. More people should use it.
As a male, I know i'm going to get a lot of crap for this, but I actually want to see the last Twilight movie :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpicNecropath View Post
.. Were you going to heckle it?

I remember doing that for whatever the second one was called and much fun was had.
Not at all. Unlike (seemingly) most people, I actually enjoyed the books, and seeing them turned into movies is pretty exciting.

Of course, i will readily admit that the acting leaves something to be desired, but it's still fun times. I tell people that the last movie was the best one, because Kristen Stewart's tendency to constantly look nauseous actually worked well this time around :P

I too was sucked into reading the books. Sadly there was no competition for the vampire genre at the time. My wife had recommended reading them. So Iread everyone of them. My top two complaints about the books... 1) Bella whined way too much and 2)lack of detail on the fight scenes. Oh sure she was plenty graphic when it came time to deliver annarosamarieisabelle what's her face but could there be one credible fight scene? I have been reminded several times the books were written for teenage girls. Yes it was a vampire book but it was not in the league of Salem's Lot or even Anne Rice's books. Someone stop me from continuing this rant.

I'll just leave it as fine. I read all of the books. It doesn't make my favorites list but it wasn't so terrible that I just stopped reading it. I do believe that I read somewhere that Stephanie Myers claims to have never read another vampire book yet it seems that the vampire's abilities were heavily influenced by Anne Rice's vampires. The only thing unique I found was the glittering vampires... real vampires don't sparkle.

Dark Knight Rises, the Hobbit, Brave, the Avengers (because it's Joss freaking Whedon), and especially Act of Valor are all at the top of my list.