your advice - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

your advice

Here is my take on it. It is a 7th level spell.

Why? Well, aside from my being a naysaying jerk, the spell deals one of the few types of damage that is hard to generate resistance to, Force Damage.

It isn't an energy type, which have loads of creatures with natural resistance and a number of spells to generate arcane resistance. So it is an attack which, unless we start making a slew of other defensive spells and specially made creatures, is almost unstoppable; even sonic damage has more creatures resistant to it. If I was comparing it to Fireball, I'd automatically raise the spell level by one (to level four) because of the type of damage it does.

But it goes further to one up Fireball by increasing the damage cap. So I'd add another level to the spell there. That is level 5 so far.

Additionally, it goes further by allowing you to select which targets are blown apart and which ones aren't. This ability is spooky awesome, allowing a spread-target combo that will make your enemies whimper... provided that there is anything left to whimper. 6th level.

And then, let us add on that the spell does status effects in addition to base damage. This spell has the capacity to knock an enemy prone and stun him in addition to doing a whole slew of damage that is near to impossible to defend against. Prone + Stun + Allies Unaffected = Coup de Grace.
7th level.

Seems a little harsh? Yeah, I agree. But I haven’t considered things like the larger radius, the interesting choice of saving throws that will leave even high level rogues feeling the pain, and the lack of a material component. So, for the sake of covering my ass, I’ll say that it was considered as the tipping points to make it level seven.

BUT if you were to raise the casting time to a full round action, I would say it makes a pretty darn nifty sixth level spell.

(Many apologies; I am aware that this is not a fireball, but when I think about balance I try to compare a considered spell to an already existing one(s). I’m sure that WotC has published extra spells that would make this look like a 4th level spell, but I’m just running my comparisons off of the players handbook. And I'm too late, aren't I?)

EDIT
Also, for the sake of quelching debate by rules lawyers you might wish to state explicitly whether this is considered an area or a targeted effect.
Chances are someone will have activated spell turning or some such, which will raise that question. Right now it is a case of DM chooses. (Which is fine by me, but I’m not a rules lawyer.)

Loki, great points.

The only thing I have to add is that you can't coup de grace someone who's stunned, I believe. The target versus area spell is a good point. I will make it.

Loki, great points.

The only thing I have to add is that you can't coup de grace someone who's stunned, I believe. The target versus area spell is a good point. I will make it.

final version

Okay, here's the final version of the spell, based on everyone's comments:

Telekinetic Explosion

Transmutation (force)

Level: Sor/Wiz 6

Components: V, S

Casting Time: 1 standard action

Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)

Area: 20-ft.-radius spread

Target or Targets: See text

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: Will half and Reflex special; see text

Spell Resistance: Yes

This area-effect spell potentially affects all creatures in a 20 foot radius from the target point, hitting each enemy with a wave of telekinetic force. The caster can choose which creatures in the area are affected and which are not, although he must be able to see the creatures. If he cannot, the spell hits every target in the area (the game master may call for a spot check). The spell deals each enemy 1d6 points of force damage per caster level (maximum 15d6); a successful will save will halve this damage. Enemies must then make a reflex save or be knocked 5 feet away from the center point of the spell and knocked prone. Enemies who fail both saves are also stunned for one round.

I also added "force" to the types of energy that Resist Energy and Protection from Energy protects against. Now I think this spell is well-balanced.

final version

Okay, here's the final version of the spell, based on everyone's comments:

Telekinetic Explosion

Transmutation (force)

Level: Sor/Wiz 6

Components: V, S

Casting Time: 1 standard action

Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)

Area: 20-ft.-radius spread

Target or Targets: See text

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: Will half and Reflex special; see text

Spell Resistance: Yes

This area-effect spell potentially affects all creatures in a 20 foot radius from the target point, hitting each enemy with a wave of telekinetic force. The caster can choose which creatures in the area are affected and which are not, although he must be able to see the creatures. If he cannot, the spell hits every target in the area (the game master may call for a spot check). The spell deals each enemy 1d6 points of force damage per caster level (maximum 15d6); a successful will save will halve this damage. Enemies must then make a reflex save or be knocked 5 feet away from the center point of the spell and knocked prone. Enemies who fail both saves are also stunned for one round.

I also added "force" to the types of energy that Resist Energy and Protection from Energy protects against. Now I think this spell is well-balanced.