Gay Marriage - Page 7 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Gay Marriage

Oh look mommy, I can start a firestorm.
Why do you think that gay marriage is against the Christian religion? It seems...silly, almost, from my outside view.

I think that this is a banned topic in WT, isn't it?

Good point. Let's not get this thread locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series0 View Post
I agree that living arrangements and familial bond issues should not be the realm of government, but culture and social life. Government absolutely should treat each person as an individual and as fairly as possible. In truth I suppose I believe that government should make no law respecting cultural or religious practices. All laws should be universal and as simple as possible.

And I emphatically disagree with not changing the framework to suit those goals regardless of the upheaval it will cause. Let's get things headed in a right direction, letting fairly universal wisdom guide us, sooner, rather than later. The problems mankind is facing are precipitous and we need to act like we care and some urgency is involved.
This is the exact opposite of a reasonable response. In order to solve the problem without creating new ones further on down the line, we must act carefully and deliberately. Measure twice, cut once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
This is the exact opposite of a reasonable response. In order to solve the problem without creating new ones further on down the line, we must act carefully and deliberately. Measure twice, cut once.
Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue where you can't simply "cut once" - marriage has been through many different definitions throughout the millenia, and will like see further redefinitions.

I find it a bit petty that a lot of people who are against gay marriage is because they are obsessed with 'owning' the word marriage. Does the word matter that much?

I always say that if you don't want to take part in gay marriage then you don't marry someone of the same gender.

As for the more "religious" who spout off the bible, specifically Leviticus as tends to be the case, I tend to ask them when they last ate shellfish or wore clothing of mixed materials as both are also banned in Leviticus (amongst other things). I also ask them to point out where exactly in the Bible Jesus said to love only your heterosexual neighbour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnas View Post
I always say that if you don't want to take part in gay marriage then you don't marry someone of the same gender.

As for the more "religious" who spout off the bible, specifically Leviticus as tends to be the case, I tend to ask them when they last ate shellfish or wore clothing of mixed materials as both are also banned in Leviticus (amongst other things). I also ask them to point out where exactly in the Bible Jesus said to love only your heterosexual neighbour.
Per Leviticus, you owe it to God to stone Rush Limbaugh to death THREE TIMES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnas View Post
See, now, if someone really claimed to be Christian, and knew what was what, they would know that the rules in Leviticus werre done away with by Jesus, and so none of those rules would be binding anyways. Shellfish for everyone.

They would also know that the rules against homosexuality were set forth by Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. The problem is which translation do you use....

King James: "Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves..., shall inherit the kingdom of God.

New International: "Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves...will inherit the kingdom of God."

Revised Standard Version: "Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, nor thieves..., will inherit the kingdom of God."

Take it for what you will.

EDIT: For the record, the Mormon bible goes with "nor fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,"