NaNoWriMo 2012? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

NaNoWriMo 2012?

NaNoWriMo 2012?

Is anyone else around these parts planning on NaNoing this year? If you are and haven't already in a previous year, feel free to add me to your Buddy list. Same username.

We shall see how much speed I'm able to put on this year. Honestly, though, after the 61 hour NaNo, I have nothing to prove anymore on that front, as I am not physically capable of surpassing that. My fingers can only go so fast. Maybe I'll actually try for *gasp* quality. Crazy, I know.

I plan on doing NaNoWriMo this year for sure! I have a story I've had running through my head for a few weeks now, and think that this will be a perfect opportunity to get it down on paper (ok, word processor, as is the case). I have my goal and am fully intent on achieving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDork View Post
Just don't stop posting in the game! ( yeah, I'm talking to you Mercutio361)
Haha! I won't, don't worry! 2-3 hours of writing a day won't take away from my gaming time!

I'm certainly thinking about it. I'll have more time available this year than any year before. But I don't have a story in mind yet, and with the amount of guidance I need before I can write, that's quite a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naleh View Post
I'm certainly thinking about it. I'll have more time available this year than any year before. But I don't have a story in mind yet, and with the amount of guidance I need before I can write, that's quite a problem.
What kind of guidance is it you're in need of? Perhaps I can be of assistance.

I'm in the same boat as Naleh - I think that this year is literally the first year that I'll actually end up having the time to try devoting to NaNo that I should (instead of trying and then getting caught up in work or school like normal). However, I'm not 100% on a story idea, and if I had one I'd need to push to have more of a world built for it. Otherwise I'll be writing double the goal - 50,000 for the novel and 50,000 to flesh out the world it's in so I know what I'm writing, lol.

The whole point of NaNoWriMo is to go against the grain to get a novel draft written. I usually plan out my stories well before I start actually writing them. However, for NaNoWriMo, the whole point is to just write, and let your creativity take you where it will. The only goal is to create something tangible with a 50K word count. If, at that point you have something that you feel is credible and great, then that is the point where you go back and edit it into just that!

We're gamers. Use that to your advantage.

Use your games as source material.
Do you have any characters that either didn't get picked for a game, or the game you got into went kaput right away? Then you have a protagonist.
Steal plot from a module.
Pull out minis or character images and stare/mutter/shout madly at them until they reveal their secrets.
Write FR (or whatever) fanfiction.

The point is to write without worrying about whether it's good or original. It's to enjoy the craft of writing without allowing your filters to stop you. Will it suck? Oh yes, it will mightily suck, like a Hoover (either kind) made of a black hole. (Incidentally, if it doesn't, I hate you.) Ah, but there will be nuggets of awesome in your pile of manure. New ideas will come from the horse puckey splattered on the screen. Relax, have some fun, let your fingers be free, FREE!

And always remember: a gratuitous graphic sex scene can pad your numbers by as much as 2500 words! Or more! Wheeeeeeeeee!