Developing a Symbiant - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Developing a Symbiant

Developing a Symbiant

So I've got an idea I would like to try but I'm not enough of a number cruncher to be certain I'm not over powering or gimping the party. So here goes.

First the general idea. The party members are part of an team drawn from the crown's elite forces. The force they were drawn from all share one thing in common, they were chosen to bond with a symbiant. This symbiant bascally replaces their own skin sending small threads deep into their muscles and nerves to help enhance their combat abilities. The symbiant's got a personality and has been bonding with hosts in this military squad for the past 500 years.

The basic premise of the elite force is total loyalty to the throne/nation above all things, service is for life. As such divine casters don't really mesh well. My goal is to make the symbiant replace the need for a divine caster in the group while still allowing the player to tailor the symbiant's bonuses to enhance their character.

I'll be starting somewhere between levels 1-3. Not sure exactly where yet, this game is still a few months away from being a reality. This is what I have come up with for the symbiant so far. It will have to grow as the characters level. Keep in mind I'm not a number cruncher and this could be way off. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Is this too much? is it way off? Should I dump the idea entirely and stick with a vanilla game?

The fact that all the characters (in my interpretation of your post, at least) will have one of these basically means that it can't be 'too much' or 'way off' so long as you account for its presence in your encounter design.

This sounds like an intelligent item with a special purpose. You are going with more psi than magic, but the list you have has things very similar to the magic choices.

It might be interesting to look at the Item Ego and Items against Characters if they start acting against the best interests of the crown. Or what a 500 yr old symbiont thinks is good for the crown.

Thanks for the input. I'll take it all into consideration. I'll probably have more questions and things progress.