Uploading artwork from the Net - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Uploading artwork from the Net

Uploading artwork from the Net

Hey guys, what is the general policy on uploading artwork from the Internet for use as character portraits? Can I just Google some images, pick one and immediately upload it as my character picture? I don't want to break any copyright rules or do anything against the rules of this forum, so I'm hoping someone can chime-in with an answer on that before I go any further with character stuff.

Thanks all.

You need more posts for one thing before you can post images - 5 I believe iirc. Other than that, I believe uploading and linking pictures from the interwebs is fine.

If not, I have a lot of picture deleting to do! Also, welcome to the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus_project View Post
You need more posts for one thing before you can post images - 5 I believe iirc. Other than that, I believe uploading and linking pictures from the interwebs is fine.

If not, I have a lot of picture deleting to do! Also, welcome to the boards.
Thanks sir.

Uploading stuff that you did not create into our attachment system isn't okay. Linking to it if it's already elsewhere on the web is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Uploading stuff that you did not create into our attachment system isn't okay. Linking to it if it's already elsewhere on the web is fine.
Good to know.

Anyone know how might be the best way to go about creating images for use here, how is that generally done?

As for the linking, most people would agree that at least citing the source of the image is common courtesy. My standard image attribution in applications is something like:

For creating your own images, most people would say to use Photoshop. GIMP is a good, free alternative to Photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionizer View Post
As for the linking, most people would agree that at least citing the source of the image is common courtesy. My standard image attribution in applications is something like:

For creating your own images, most people would say to use Photoshop. GIMP is a good, free alternative to Photoshop.
Thanks. This is about what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure I'm doing what needs to happen. Thanks again.