Spells for a trap busting spell turret. - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Spells for a trap busting spell turret.

Well by your own reasoning, wouldn't it be "Locate Liquid Filled Vial"?

Cause saying it could recognize and locate a complex concoction like a potion, but not a trap... That seems like a rather hypocritical interpretation. Especially with how many potion types there can be.

Also... I'm not sure where the DM got the stats for it... But he gave us a tiny amount of star metal and I (with the parties vote) was planning on mounting the turret on a star metal plated buckler (or something similar) if possible.

So it will have A LOT of hp if my understanding of the metal and the turrets is right. That should make it really sturdy.

Where would I find the stats for star metal btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
What you're missing is that Locate Object will not find traps you don't already know about.
The spell locates 'well known or clearly visualized' objects. Traps vary sufficiently in size, form, and even function, that there really is no feasible way to 'clearly visualize' the nebulous traits they have in common in the way necessary for the spell.
I believe what is being communicated is an accurate interpretation. It's not the complexity of the object (though that's a well-made argument in some ways and I can see your point and understand your sentiment) - it's whether it is 'well known' to the caster already or 'clearly visualized'. A trap, by it's very nature and intent - is neither.

It could be a pressure plate to trigger for one trap. A tripwire for another. The opening of a door or trying to pick a lock for yet others. Locate object is more like a "Where is my key that I had...?" (scroll, sword, etc) type spell.

Not meant to be a Sor/Wiz 1st level replacement for Cleric 2 Find Traps. Which is what you would need to be casting.

No one here is trying to antogonize or annoy you. There is some good advice here. Such as temp HP, etc.
Locate Object is not Find Traps. Unless your GM wants to houserule in whatever way they want.

Either way, happy trap-hunting to you. Those durn traps can be a bother without a rogue.

And Find Traps is no real help either, since all it does is give the cleric the rouges trapfinding ability and a bonus to search. Not really what he's looking for here. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, what he's looking for doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Caleb View Post
No one here is trying to antogonize or annoy you. There is some good advice here. Such as temp HP, etc.
Locate Object is not Find Traps. Unless your GM wants to houserule in whatever way they want.

Either way, happy trap-hunting to you. Those durn traps can be a bother without a rogue.
I am feeling no antagony, I was just pointing out the fact that if it can't locate one complex item, then why should it be able to find another equally (if separate in nature) complex item.

I't was purely hypocritical by definition.

As for a rogue, my character is a factotum, and trap finding is an ability of that class. In fact, my character does have experience with traps written into his back story as well as 10 points in disable device and 5 in Craft [trap] (I invested the points long before the DM professed his dislike for traps in everyday encounters).

Another argument to the fact that as the creator of the item and caster of the spells, my character should be able to tune it to find traps. lol

But all that is becoming an increasingly mute point. It is at this point up to the DM. Worst case scenario, I spend an extra few weeks creating a spell to fill the need.

Also... Reading the spells description in the PHB, which is much more expanded then the SRD, reveals some insight. While it still starts by saying 'well known or clearly visualized', it goes on to state that you can also search for more general categories of items. The spell adapts by simply guiding you towards the nearest example of the item.

Now if I wanted to find specifically a scything blade trap, then yes, I would need to have pre-programmed a mental image of a scything blade trap into to turret.

However, such items as the nearest stairwell, a weapon, or even a piece of jewelry may not be as complex as a trap, but the spell does not say the object needs to be simple in design. In fact, the broad category of "tools" could conceivably range from a hammer or a rake, to a cotton gin or a wheat thresher.

lol Maybe even all the way to whatever the heck
this is...

At no point in the spells full description (not including any possible errata or WotC DEV input) does it say the item needs to be simple or without moving or magical parts. It simply implies that with less specifics comes more results, and by effect, a shorter walk...

And in a dungeon full of traps... Finding the nearest trap is not exactly a BAD thing! lol

Though after typing all that, it has dawned on me that a broken trap is still a trap... Meaning I may need to rethink the method of disposing of the traps once found. If only to keep it from constantly highlighting and attacking a busted trap...

With no serious intent...
It would be great if I could use a rat as the mount for a tiny spell turret. Then I just make 10 of them and toss them into the dungeon and check on them once a day. To make sure they haven't been eaten or stopped by any closed doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kobold View Post
Well by your own reasoning, wouldn't it be "Locate Liquid Filled Vial"?

Cause saying it could recognize and locate a complex concoction like a potion, but not a trap... That seems like a rather hypocritical interpretation. Especially with how many potion types there can be.
A particular potion, possibly a particular type of potion, possibly a particular type of potion made by a particular individual, might be findable with Locate Object. The general class of items known as 'potions', as you suspect, would not be findable.
Moreover, if multiple valid objects exist within the spell's range, it locates only the nearest, which would be rather unproductive given that most parties carry at least one potion amongst them at most times.

I suspect no such thing! I do think potions is a valid search filter.

Those parameters, a particular potion, particular types of potions, and potions by a particular maker, are in fact more complex of a request then just "potion"!

Its like asuming a kid cant find all the pennies in a jar of coins, but that he can find all the pennies minted in a specific state or during a specific year.

Your assumed limitations of the spell are actually making the spell do more!

Are all potions held in more-or-less identical containers? If no, then the spell will not be able to locate any potion, but merely those in the type of container visualized.
Are all potions brewed from the same base? If no, then the spell will only locate those brewed from the visualized base.
Are all potions of more-or-less identical colour, consistency, and volume?
You see where I'm going with this?

All of those things could, in my opinion, be left as unknown. You could ask similar questions about a longsword, but the spell as I understand it would not discriminate between a longsword with jewels or a longsword made of wood, which then leads me to believe that if one specified only "Potion," one would find the nearest "liquid with healing, magical, or poisonous properties," as per the definition of potions found simply by using google. Another opinion could be specifically any Magical Potion, such as a wizard could brew, but Locate Object doesn't specify the ability for it to detect magic. I'd say that, unless it were cast in tandem with a detect magic spell (homebrewing, obviously), 'magical properties' would not be an option for a specification of its search, but could be found with something more vague such as 'potion'.

On the matter of the OP's concern:
Resist Energy: I'd like to second the False Life idea. Resist Energy would, as I see it, unless otherwise specified by your DM, need to be a specific type of energy if put in an object such as a wand or turret.
Trap-Finding: If you have a cleric in your party, I believe that if they assist your creation of the spell turret, you could get Find Traps as the level 2 cleric spell.