[3.P] PrCs as gestalt - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

[3.P] PrCs as gestalt

But now it's NOT a mundane anymore. They've already GOT that option in D&D. It's called "make a caster instead".

Why is there even a Prestige Paladin if you can "just play a caster instead"? Because someone might want to have the class features of a Paladin. Cleric does it better, yes. And yet some people choose to play a Paladin. With this they can have both.
But as I already said, PrP is an alternative. Not everyone uses it.

You didn't ask why people would play a given (prestige) class. You asked which classes would benefit more from your house rule. Full Casters. Or everyone else.

The scenarios that benefit "everyone else" as much as it benefits the full casters. Winds up turning said characters into full casters. Thus eliminating them from the "everyone else" column.

It benefits mundanes much more than casters. That's the point. I'm giving mundanes that what casters had all the time. Free stuff.

If, as you say, mundanes can become casters then it clearly benefits mundanes more.

But *then they're not mundanes anymore* thus rendering that whole argument entirely moot.

Here's a house rule that should balance things:

Allow all classes that aren't full casters to gestalt. And there. End it at that. You can gestalt your rogues and your fighters and barbarians even your paladins and rangers and bards. Maybe sorcerers if you don't allow them to gestalt with bard.

Clerics and wizards and druids "only" get the features their single class gives them.

It's clean. It's efficient. There's no house rule calls involved. Simply "it's a gestalt game... unless you're one of these guys..." and be done with it.

Quote:
But *then they're not mundanes anymore* thus rendering that whole argument entirely moot.
Sorry, but what argument? Where exactly did I say it's not allowed for mundanes to become casters? Where did I say it's somehow important that mundanes stay mundanes? I don't remember saying anything like that. What I actually said was that your perceived problem isn't really a problem, because:
a) Prestige Paladin/Bard/Ranger is only an alternative option and shouldn't be relevant here;
b) if you do use this houserule and the Prestige houserule, that's your choice and your risk;
c) 3 classes from T4-5 become T1 and that's way better than I intended (which is good);
Please, enlighten me, how does mundanes become casters when Prestige Paladin/Bard/Ranger isn't allowed and how do other classes than Paladin/Bard/Ranger become casters?

Quote:
It's clean. It's efficient. There's no house rule calls involved. Simply "it's a gestalt game... unless you're one of these guys..." and be done with it.
No. My houserule has more benefits. It makes many caster PrCs actually worth taking.

I actually make "sides". Yes, both sides count for the prestige class, but the PrC can only advance things on the side it's applied to. Anything that takes a level simultaneously, is considered on different sides for the purpose of gestalting and PrCs.

You're the one trying to claim "more benefit to noncasters". I've given numerous examples proving considerable advantage to various casters by various means and methods.

You've yet to even describe *any* noncaster option that actually makes things decent for them. T4/5 to T1. Which classes? HOW? My examples turn them into casters (thus making them on par, sure, because now they're on the other side of the fence).

But a T1 class, by definition, can do all standard jobs in the party (damage dealer, tank, controller, skillmonkey, and whatever else you might need). And often better than T3 classes or below can do in their *specialties*. T2 can do most of that, but there's always gaps. T3 has an area where they rock the house about as well as a T1- but only in one area. And T4 and below just fail at life.

Make me any build you like, just one, that achieves T1 "anything you can do I can do better" status. Without using caster classes. And, yes, psionics and artificers qualify as casters.

Your goal is "clearly as good or better than a sorcerer". Bar is set. Prove your claim.