Players of Older D&D (2e/earlier) and Clones - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Players of Older D&D (2e/earlier) and Clones

Hey Librarium, I would say ditto to SWN. There have been rumors but nothing ever happened with them.

I grew up on a mix of Red Box and 2e, still go back to that when we get the chance. I'm a fan of Castles & Crusades, have Gold & Glory around here somewhere, but I'm good for about any older editions/retros as long as the premiss is good.

You could also add Mutant Future to the list of near retro clones. Its made by the same people that make Labyrinth Lord and its probably more of a retro clone of Gamma World. The game is scaled for higher powered play but there is a section at the back that adapts it for use with Labyrinth Lord.

I have most of my books in storage, and I lost my BECMI stuff years ago which hurt because I bought the Master Set and Immortal's set when they were new. However I do have the Rules Cyclopedia and the hardback of Stars Without Number which has some extra content not found in the free edition. My local FLGS has Labyrinth Lord so at some time I want to pick up the Advanced Edition Companion and then I think my old school options would be near complete.

I don't really consider Mutant Future or Stars Without Number as D&D retro-clones. Both could be a blast to play though. Dan over at Goblinoid Games is brilliant for reinventing GW as a member of the LL family. I think it is about a quarter the page count of the Gamma World book we used to play with and just as much fun.

I'm a old school gamer at heart, though i play 4e and 3.5 sometimes. Running OD&D games is an honor really, i find the edition easy to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wyvern View Post
I don't really consider Mutant Future or Stars Without Number as D&D retro-clones. Both could be a blast to play though. Dan over at Goblinoid Games is brilliant for reinventing GW as a member of the LL family. I think it is about a quarter the page count of the Gamma World book we used to play with and just as much fun.
That's why I call them near-clones. They aren't retro clones but they are compatible with them, which is why they are worth mentioning particularly to gamers who may want to relive some of the fun they had with Gamma World or Star Frontiers while still being able to use material such as Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and Needle (AD&D yes, but back in the day you could easily eyeball conversions).

Wyvern you can add me as well I like Basic, Expert, Companion, Masters, and the one after that (think it was the gold box) AD&D AD&D 2nd edition, and most clones if it is a free download. PM away...