Crude Paid Advertisements - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Crude Paid Advertisements

Crude Paid Advertisements

I'm not one to complain, especially since MW is excellent and free, so I'm filing this as a "comment/request"

The site is so wonderful, I love it. But lately some of the paid advertisements have become very crude and abrasive to the atmosphere. I'm talking about the ads with women's breasts thrown in for no reason and such. I'm a guy, and I likes girls, but I don't come to MW to see ads that try to target me like I'm a mindless horny sheep. I feel degraded by seeing it.

Just wondering if the Devs can screen this sort of stuff? If not, it's cool, I'll still come here and be happy.

You get boobs? I don't get boobs. Where do you see boobs? All I'm getting are text ads! *Pouts, looks for boobies.*

For example the ads under this thread are trying to sell me crude petroleum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lom View Post
Just wondering if the Devs can screen this sort of stuff? If not, it's cool, I'll still come here and be happy.
We don't want the ads upsetting people, that you can be assured of. I think there's a limit to the number of specific ads that adsense allows explicit blocking of (and if I'm right it's very few) , Rigo will know or know where to look.

If you see things which are causing concern please take a screenshot and let us know as we don't see the ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
let us know as we don't see the ads.
*Grin* Where's that option located? Just teasing, we know the ads are necessary.

If I'm going to be able to do anything about it, I'm going to need to know specifically what ad it is. A description, better yet an image, better yet its link is the minimum. I think this may be the civony ad, however there's one that I'm getting now that is far better than the other one that I've seen (though that one toes the edge at worst). I'll have to see if I can block one but not the other.

If you don't want to see ads, you're free to use adblock, though we don't condone it. Staff don't see ads because we'd generate thousands of spurious daily pageviews.

It's not the mammaries that I'm raising the issue about, it's the nature of these ads. The kind of ads that use crude strategy like
ie. shiny, shaking, zooming text, whatever it takes to demand your eye's attention from doing what you came to the site to do, like read posts
Las Vegas text and women's breasts to achieve their end. They don't care about treating viewers with respect or letting us be at peace. They are hyper-invasive.

Yes, the Civony ad is the most prevalent one. If you look at it and see what it's advertising (a computer game, it would seem) there's obviously no wholesome reason to have that girl there with the cleavage (except that "sex sells"). Along with the shaking text and moving parts that demand your eye's attention (not to mention the game's name-image is a total rip-off of the Civilization series of computer games) it's obviously just a mindless marketing tool (the game and the ad). It's the kind of trashy ads that detract from the clean atmosphere that I've come to enjoy about MW.

But there was another one surfacing in the past couple of days (which doesn't pop up anymore today, so I can't get a screenshot of it) that made me think "Okay, this is ridiculous." The one I'm talking about had I think 3 parts that it cycled through: the first 2 were about "level up and build your empire" and "kill the orcs" or something like that. The 3rd stage of the cycle had a very blatant set of breasts (skimpy corset or something) as the only image on the ad with the text "And find your girlfriend" or something to that effect. The whole thing made me feel cheap, like it wasn't an advertisement for a legitimate product but for seeing how many suckers would click on it. Like it was just a marketing research tool (like most of these free, crappy games being advertised these days).

It had a generic name, like Something-Or-Other Empire.

Well, I just wanted to bring it up to the MW devs in case you guys weren't aware that some crude ads are surfacing. If I can get screenshots in the future, I will. I certainly am not trying to start a picket line or raise a stinky fuss about it, just raising a concern. I feel obliged to protect the homeland.

Thanks for hearing me out.

The Civony ad you seem to already know about. I attached two iterations of the ad. Also, here's the address it takes you to when you click on it (there's no link to the ad itself, I think.. it's Flash):

http://1.civony.com/civonygg.html?gc...FRJxxwodG2bCGQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg civony_ad.jpg (45.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg civony_ad_vertical.jpg (65.4 KB, 0 views)

Odd that you've found issue with the current Civony ad, as that one's not crude in any sense I'm aware of. An objection to the way you're being advertised to is a bit of a stretch. Unless there is a wider aversion to the ad from the community, I'm not going to throw off an ad I don't find a problem with and don't feel is at odds with our standards at MW due to a single complaint. You should just ignore the ad or you can block it.

For ads where there is actually objectionable content, like it seems one might be (and I know one of the old Civony ads could've been) please don't hesitate about bringing those up.

Well I object to ads by Google in general (probably much for the same reasons that some people don't like Microsoft or IE), but I have to say that fantasy art has contained women in skimpy clothes from day one.
That's part of why its called "fantasy" and part of why I got into roleplaying

Yep, in hindsight I find my issue with the ad doesn't hold water in the big world. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

I guess after seeing that other ad I was talking about, I thought I might be sensing an unpleasant trend. (It's gone now though, I think.) Anyway, keep up the great work.