US on the Verge of Legalizing Cannabis? - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

US on the Verge of Legalizing Cannabis?

As far as I'm concerned we are talking about legalizing MJ, which is roughly equivalent to alcohol, IMO. If we can accept one we can accept the other with appropriate legal safeguards.

I'm not the least bit interested in legalizing hard drugs.

I think some "hard" drugs should be reconsidered. LSD, psilocybin mushrooms, DMT, and ecstasy, especially ecstasy should be regulated. So many people end up in bad situations when they get their hands on tainted ecstasy, which may not even be ecstasy. All of the above psychedelics are mostly harmless in comparison to alcohol but bad things happen because you're getting them from criminals, on the other hand, regulated and marketed mushrooms, LSD and DMT would see massive increase in use among the population, because that stuff is rare. Not to mention there is some medical promise in first three, they all need extensive research still, but i've been reading about psychiatrist using LSD and mushrooms to incite breakthroughs with their patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I'm not the least bit interested in legalizing hard drugs.
I would advocate 'decriminalizing' them, though.
Drug addiction is an ILLNESS. It should receive an appropriate response.

Quality is easier to regulate if they are legal, nd imagine teh economic benefits of legalized cocaine. Productivity would soar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
Quality is easier to regulate if they are legal, nd imagine teh economic benefits of legalized cocaine. Productivity would soar!
As Wall Street well knows.

Since we seem to be all fairly libertarian when it comes to legalization what types of restrictions would people want to see in place?

Legal for everything or prescription for medical issues? What age limit? No driving/flying/operating heavy machinery/etc under any level of influence or only a certain threshold? Sold everywhere cigarettes are or only specialized places? What types of fines/jail for reselling to minors? Same as alcohol/tobacco or greater?

And since I don't smoke and don't have any friends I'm close enough to who do smoke regularly... how much should a joint (or pack, etc) cost after taxes, etc are all factored in? Sold singly like cigars, packs like cigs, bulk unrolled like pipe tobacco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
lmao, yes, do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Since we seem to be all fairly libertarian when it comes to legalization what types of restrictions would people want to see in place?

Legal for everything or prescription for medical issues? What age limit? No driving/flying/operating heavy machinery/etc under any level of influence or only a certain threshold? Sold everywhere cigarettes are or only specialized places? What types of fines/jail for reselling to minors? Same as alcohol/tobacco or greater?

And since I don't smoke and don't have any friends I'm close enough to who do smoke regularly... how much should a joint (or pack, etc) cost after taxes, etc are all factored in? Sold singly like cigars, packs like cigs, bulk unrolled like pipe tobacco?
Legal for everything. age limit should be 18. Absolutely no operating heavy machinery, driving and even flying may be ok if one is not heavily stoned but it's harder to measure how stoned someone is compared to alcohol, you could be incredibly stoned and still pass for sober depending on how long you've been smoking. A pack of blunts/joints/etc should be roughly the same cost as a pack of squares, perhaps cheaper as Marijuana is a much hardier and easy to grow plant when compared to Tobacco but if they're too cheap, it may be too easy to abuse weed, you shouldn't be smoking all day every day, some people can but many can't. Sell them in any variety, cigars and cigs, and bulk based on weight and quality. Should avoid the sale of weed based foods as it would be too easy for it to get into the hands of minors.

If you give it to kids intentionally, you should be fined heavily with the strong possibility of jail time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post

Legal for everything or prescription for medical issues?
Everything.

Quote:
What age limit?
18, as I think alcohol should be. If you can serve in the armed forces, you can do whatever you want.

Quote:
No driving/flying/operating heavy machinery/etc under any level of influence or only a certain threshold?
I would like to see up to 3ng/ml, as that's generally where reaction times and motor skills tend to degrade.

Quote:
Sold everywhere cigarettes are or only specialized places?
Who cares?

Quote:
What types of fines/jail for reselling to minors? Same as alcohol/tobacco or greater?
Same as alcohol.

Quote:
I... Don't know. I don't smoke. I just know the medicine behind it. Distribution is beyond me.