nazi trinkets or overreaction? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

nazi trinkets or overreaction?

nazi trinkets or overreaction?

link

Quote:
Originally Posted by summary
Several 7-Eleven stores in Taiwan are currently stocking key rings and magnets that bear a strikingly similar resemblance to Hitler. The cartoon figure features a short black moustache, a brown jacket, and a red-black-and-white symbol resembling the Nazi’s swastika banners.

Personally, I see a fat guy with a comb over and vampire teeth who's not wearing a uniform. In my opinion, this is the umpteenth overreaction to nothing whatsoever. I have the impression that people worldwide are getting less and less tolerant each day. The skill of self-relativation is insufficiently valued. People seem to spot nazis faster than pastafarians spot images of the FSM.

Even if the trinket was meant to look like Hitler, the image in no way inspires sympathy. It is definitely not meant to offend anyone or deny the holocaust. Plenty of people compare their bosses to Hitler every day, and this thing is designed specifically to mock one's boss.

hooray, I managed to invoke Godwin's first and second law in the first post
disclaimer

Quote:
This debacle is yet another example of the strange fascination East Asian pop culture has with Hitler and the Nazis. Hitler still appears in the odd Asian ad campaign, and just a few months ago, three students in Taipei arrived at a military-organized summer camp wearing Nazi uniforms.
I don't think that three students should constitute he whole of East Asian pop culture any more than the 'odd ad campaign' should. With that said, I think its easier for people that are removed (geographically/culturally/etc) from others that might take offense to the mock up to not generally consider the feelings(intentionally/unintentionally) of those it could offend.

Over reaction, I don't think anyone finds Hitler to be a joke, or that anyone is trying to change the image of Hitler to somehow be a good one, I think this is more of a question political correctness, it's turning into a crusade to censor anything that isn't conservative(not the political phrase), squeaky, clean family fun.

That looks nothing like Hitler. Hitler didn't survive long enough to get a comb over for a start unless you're going into the "he didn't really die but went to Argentina to avoid his enemies" thing and even then he may not have gone bald. I've known men in their 80s with a full head of hair. That symbol is about as similar to a Swastika as I am Joan of Arc.

Seriously just because some fat bald guy has a moustache that even slightly resemble Hitler's, and he's wearing articles of brown clothing,;people start acting like it's some pro Nazi memorabilia. Get a grip on yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima22689 View Post
Over reaction, I don't think anyone finds Hitler to be a joke, or that anyone is trying to change the image of Hitler to somehow be a good one, I think this is more of a question political correctness, it's turning into a crusade to censor anything that isn't conservative(not the political phrase), squeaky, clean family fun.
+1

That's because he got checked, several times, by a hot, modern black chick, who then turned into a still hot english cougar...

(Yes, I know they were both english..)

Yes, but... we're using images of Hitler (and there was no mistake that that was supposed to be Hitler) as entertainment. How dare we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
Yes, but... we're using images of Hitler (and there was no mistake that that was supposed to be Hitler) as entertainment. How dare we?
Quote:
Such a setting did offer great dramatic potential, and it was a shame that very little was ultimately made of it. And even though there is the bathos of pure evil, using Hitler as something of a comic foil struck a wrong note given the nature of the man and the regime he led.
Happy? :P