Called shots - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

Called shots

Is it possible for a feat to be an immediate interrupt? If so, I can envision this feat as an immediate interrupt for when an enemy provokes an OA by moving. In that case, the user takes a -1 or -2 to hit, and if they hit, the enemy is also dazed until the start or end of the character's next turn. Of course I wouldn't then call the feat Called Shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farland View Post
Is it possible for a feat to be an immediate interrupt? If so, I can envision this feat as an immediate interrupt for when an enemy provokes an OA by moving. In that case, the user takes a -1 or -2 to hit, and if they hit, the enemy is also dazed until the start or end of the character's next turn. Of course I wouldn't then call the feat Called Shot.
I like my idea better - make them eat a resource to do somehting heroic.

Expend healing surges 2 or 3 to attempt to hit a location for extra damage. No penalties on the attack. The attack either does more damage, or increases the crit threat range of the weapon used.

If its an attack to dislodge an item - make it some sort of opposed roll.

Both suggestions are broken, but in different ways. It's pretty easy to crank OA accuracy on a fighter up to ridiculous levels, and lots of powers that force enemies to provoke(in various ways). Surges are supposed to be a duration limit and certain very specific powers call for the use of a surge. To give that up and allow that at-will not only means a return to the 5 minute adventuring day, but also removes much of the specialness of spending a surge to fuel a particularly strong power.

hm...

Thinking back to the penalty for auto-crit. FRPG has a Channel Divinity feat called "Righteous Rage of Tempus" that turns your next attack into an automatic critical hit if it hits. Channel Divinity makes it once per encounter, balanced against any of your other Channel Divinity uses.

Granted, Forgotten Realms stuff tends to skew toward the right end of the power spectrum, even in 4E. Still, perhaps a feat-based Encounter power isn't out of the question? Auto-crit is probably too much (I'm thinking Jagged Weapon, which I've recently used to impressive effect), but some ally bonus or enemy penalty to EoNT might not be a bad idea.

RRoT got nerfed, but remember that it is, as a Channel Divinity power, effectively a feat SWAP rather than a straight power gain. Using a feat swap for a utility which does something similar as an encounter is viable and probably balanced, depending on implementation.