4E Feats Conversion and Creation - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4E Feats Conversion and Creation

Sure -- Here is a link to the part of the website where most of the conversion will take place.

Feats is one thing - but we are also looking to convert spells, prestige classes and a few other things (such as our flora/drug section) to 4E rules. Any help you'd like to give would be greatly appreciated.

Ranged Accuracy
Paragon Tier Feat
Your sharp eyes let keep that arrow flying straight.
Prerequisite: Dex 20, Wis 15
Benefit: Increase the close range distance of a ranged weapon by 3 squares. This does not increase the maximum range of the weapon.

Studied Sneak Attack
Heroic Tier Feat
You take minute to learn your enemies weak spot.
Prerequisite: Rogue, Sneak Attack Class Feature, Int 15
Benefit: Once per encounter, you can spend a move action to study an enemy. Make a knowledge check, as if you were learning information about the enemy. The DC for this check is 10+the level of the monster (add 2 for elites and 5 for solo monsters). If the check succeeds, you roll an additional die of sneak attack damage on your next attack against the monster this encounter.

My best guess for the two tower shield feats is to make a tower shield item, and then change for feats over without much change.

Thanks Kits -- please, keep up the great work!!!

On Ranged Accuracy, the requirement of a 20 dex seems kind of high. How about if this was 15? Also, why the wisdom requirement?

On Studied Sneak attack, the difference between elite and solo monsters seems a bit out of place. Can we just clarify that it is against one creature?
Would it be too much to say Heroic tier = 1 die, Paragon Tier =2 2 die, Epic Tier = 3 die?

I also like the thought on Tower shields... Any chance you could write it up? I do think it is important to maintain the -2 penalty to attack rolls, so tower shields maintain balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Thanks Kits -- please, keep up the great work!!!

On Ranged Accuracy, the requirement of a 20 dex seems kind of high. How about if this was 15? Also, why the wisdom requirement?
Erm... to push it back till you can get it? It could probably be lowered, but most ranged attackers (Rangers/Rogues) should easily have a Dex of 20 by the 14th level. Maybe lower it to 18 or so. The Wisdom requirement is because sight and perception is tied to that. I figured that accuracy is dependent on eyesight. I'd say lower it to Wis 13, but 13 tends to apply to heroic feats, and 15 to paragon ones.

Quote:
On Studied Sneak attack, the difference between elite and solo monsters seems a bit out of place. Can we just clarify that it is against one creature?
Would it be too much to say Heroic tier = 1 die, Paragon Tier =2 2 die, Epic Tier = 3 die?
It's to keep elites and solo monsters from being...crippled by it. Make it slightly more difficult to get that extra die. I mean, they're probably rarer or less likely to have an noticeable weak spot. I think the additional die per tier is a bit. I mean, a level 30 dagger master should be rolling around
I'm assuming Dex 20 and Cha 18. Cha could possibly be higher, but I'm just taking a rough guess
2d4+20+8d8, scoring crits on 18-20, with Sly Flourish. Combined with the improved crit feat, he's dealing ~96+6d6. With an at will. It's worse when he starts dealing 4 or 6[W] damage. Of course, playtesting might prove it to be perfectly fine. I think one extra is strong enough.

Quote:
I also like the thought on Tower shields... Any chance you could write it up? I do think it is important to maintain the -2 penalty to attack rolls, so tower shields maintain balance.
A little later. I'd need to look at my 3.5e and 4e books together to get an idea for how to change it. I don' think the change would be too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune Tsuki View Post
Ranged Accuracy
Paragon Tier Feat
Your sharp eyes let keep that arrow flying straight.
Prerequisite: Dex 20, Wis 15
Benefit: Increase the close range distance of a ranged weapon by 3 squares. This does not increase the maximum range of the weapon.
Far Shot is strictly better, and combats rarely go past 20 squares in the first place. I'd ditch this feat.

Quote:
Studied Sneak Attack
Heroic Tier Feat
You take minute to learn your enemies weak spot.
Prerequisite: Rogue, Sneak Attack Class Feature, Int 15
Benefit: Once per encounter, you can spend a move action to study an enemy. Make a knowledge check, as if you were learning information about the enemy. The DC for this check is 10+the level of the monster (add 2 for elites and 5 for solo monsters). If the check succeeds, you roll an additional die of sneak attack damage on your next attack against the monster this encounter.

My best guess for the two tower shield feats is to make a tower shield item, and then change for feats over without much change.
Studied Sneak Attack is terrible. Spend a move action to deal +1 die of sneak attack once per encounter? I'd remove the int requirement, since int is anti-synergistic, make it a minor action, and turn it into a rogue utility power. Remember that not all monster knowledge checks are int-based.

If you reduce it like that, studied sneak attack becomes exactly like the hunter's quarry feature of a multi-class ranger. Even down to the fluff of "studying the prey". So, SSA may not be strictly necessary. A watchful, assassin-type rogue may just want to MC into ranger for some of the hunter's quarry based powers.

I don't mind scrapping some of the 3.5 stuff... that's undoubtedly going to be necessary. I'd juist like to keep as much as we can come up with good, balanced ideas for. Any way we could make SSA workable?

Perhaps instead of a bonus to damage, since rogues are generally very accurate to begin with, you could get a +1 power bonus to attacks against that foe for the rest of the encounter.

Each of the strikers have a way to do a little extra damage: Hunter's Quarry, Sneak Attack, Warlock's Curse. I was just expressing concern at the recasting of a class feature as a utility power. I have a feeling if we look, however, we could find examples in the books. I just wanted to make sure it was discussed for balance first.

Some of the paragon paths have an extra SA die features. Of those, those apply to everyone you have combat advantage on. But would it be within the realm of flavor that to focus on one enemy to gain extra damage, you don't study the others to take advantage of their weaknesses? A utility stance for an extra SA die on a single target at the cost of opportunistic SA's against everyone else? At least until paragon level when you can get a "free" extra die with a paragon path.

Now that I re-read it, that may be too-expensive however.

Kitsune has commented on some of these already, but here are my two coppers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Racial Diversity Replaces Class Mastery Feat
Heroic Path Feat
You have spent a significant portion of your upbringing with a race other than your own.

Prerequistes: Must be level 1.
Benefit: You may take a racial feat from a race other than your own. Note that this only makes you eligible to take the feat. You must spend an additional slot to take the feat.
It's "Heroic Tier", as previously noted.

Delete entire "Prerequisites" line, and add "Special: This feat may only be selected at Level 1."

Quote:
Dexterous Climb
Heroic Path Feat
You are a climber who relies on agility rather than brute strength.

Benefit: You use your dexterity score rather than your strength score when making climb checks. You also get a +2 bonus to climb checks. If your strength becomes higher than your dexterity, you can chose to use strength instead, retaining the +2 bonus.
First, there are no "climb checks" in 4E. Reword to "When making an Athletics Check to climb, you may use your Dexterity Modifier in place of your Strength Modifier."

Add "Prerequisite: Must be trained in Athletics".

Ultimately, however, this feat is inferior to Skill Focus (Athletics), as it applies only to climbing and Skill Focus applies to all Athletics checks.

Quote:
Exceptional Healer
Heroic Path Feat
Your powers of healing are amazing.

Benefit: +2 to all healing surges you take. This feat stacks with other abilities and feats.
Reword benefit to "Increase your healing surge value by +2."

Quote:
Greater Improved Critical
Paragon Tier Feat
You know how to use your chosen weapon to devastating effect.

Prerequistes: Weapon Focus
Benefit: Your damage on a critical hit made with a chosen weapon group increases by 1 die. 1d6 becomes 1d8, 1d8 becomes 1d10 and 1d10 becomes 1d12.
This is inconsistent with how critical hits are handled in 4E. A crit does maximum weapon damage, plus X number of dice for your magic weapon/implement. The bonus dice are a function of the weapon/implement's magic, not your skill. Reference "Devastating Critical" (PHB, p202), which adds +1d10 on a critical hit.

Consider changing the prerequisite to "Devastating Critical" and boosting the damage to +1d12.

Quote:
Improved Dodge
Heroic Tier Feat
You are good at dodging attacks.

Prerequistes: Dex 13
Benefit: Your receive a dodge bonus to your armor class against all melee and missile attacks. A condition that would make you lose your dexterity bonus to AC (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. This bonus stacks with all other bonuses.
1st-10th level - +1 bonus to AC
11th-20th level - +2 bonus to AC
21st-30th level - +3 bonus to AC
Oddly worded. There are no conditions in 4E which make you lose your Dex bonus to AC. In fact, only characters wearing Light armor are even eligible to add their Dex Modifier to AC. "Missile attacks" are not the only ranged attacks. Applying the bonus to a bow, crossbow, sling, or thrown weapon but not to spells is too much bookkeeping.

The bonus is too much for 4E. The Paragon Tier "Combat Anticipation" (PHB, p202) grants a +1 feat bonus to all defenses against ranged, area, and close attacks.

An untyped bonus is inappropriate here. Combined with Combat Anticipation, that's a +3 bonus to all defenses vs ranged attacks.

Quote:
Magical Reserves
Heroic Tier Feat
You can call upon your own inner strength to cast spells.

Benefit: Sacrifice all of your remaining healing surges. When you do this, you regain one daily power you used this day. This does not function if you do not have any healing surges left.
This is too much for a feat, as there are Paragon and Epic Tier powers which do the same thing. Even at the cost of all remaining healing surges, it's too powerful. Consider: at the end of the "day", you're in combat with the BBEG, have used all your Dailies and have 1 healing surge remaining. Burning that last healing surge in exchange for a Daily power is a no brainer...

Quote:
Reckless Strike
Heroic Tier Feat
You are capable of ignoring your personal safety in order to injure your opponent.

Prerequistes: Con 13
Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for the round, you may chose to take a -4 on your armor class and add half that number (2 or less) to all melee attack rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty to armor class apply until the beginning of your next turn. You may not use this feat in conjunction with power attack.
This extra damage increases can increases with level, as noted below.

Level Extra Damage (Two Handed Weapon)
1st-10th +2 (+3 Two Handed Weapon)
11th-20th +4 (+6 Two Handed Weapon)
21st - 30th +6 (+9 Two Handed Weapon)
There is no "Base Attack Bonus" in 4E. The math is too complicated for 4E as well. Reference the static penalty and bonus for Power Attack (PHB, p199).

Con prereq makes little sense. Perhaps a Dex prereq of 15? (To match Power Attack)

Granting Combat Advantage until the start of your next turn is actually much more dangerous than an AC penalty, as it allows various powers and features which trigger on CA.

Quote:
Shield Grand Master
ParagonTier Feat
You skills with a shield are amazing to behold.

Benefit: When taking the total defense action and using a shield, you may gain cover from a single opponent of your choice and damage reduction equal to the shield bonus provided by the shield against that opponent's attacks. Both bonuses last for 1 round and are in addition to the normal benefits derived from total defense.
"Damage Reduction" doesn't exist in 4E. Consider changing to "Gain 'Resist All X' against that opponent's attacks, where X equals the AC bonus provided by your shield."

Replace "Both bonuses last for 1 round" with "Both bonuses last until the start of your next turn."

Quote:
Skillful Heroic Tier Feat
You are skilled where members of your profession usually are not.
Benefit: Chose one skill. This skill becomes a class skill for you.
Rather pointless for 4E. "Class skills" are relevant only at character creation, and Skill Training does exactly the same thing.