Medical Droid Assistance - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Medical Droid Assistance

Medical Droid Assistance

I'm creating a custom medical droid, low strength etc. What I'm wondering is if there is a way in the books (I think I've looked through a majority of them and can't see it) to create appendages that would work instead of having to use a medkit or surgery kit. My thoughts are around things such as internal space or additional appendages (or multi-function apparatus?). Does anyone know if this is in the books or something that would be best done as a house rule if allowed.

The reason I ask, Medical kits are 20 kg - medpacs are 1kg. A lot of these droids have 9-12 strength (at most) and they still seem to have full movement (or list it as base speed, even though they have med kit and surgical kit - another 10kg). 12 strength only allows 36kg, 9 strength allows 20.25kg (the weight of a medkit alone). If there are no ways, anyone have suggestions on reducing the weight load of such kits/pacs?

Thank you for your time!

This is something you'd have to houserule. The closest thing I can find to this would be to use the multifunction apparatus, but with the weight factor, you'd have the same end result. And from what I can tell by looking at pre-made doids in the books, medical droids simply seem to ignore the weight of the equipment they're carrying.

Can you point me to a medical droid that "simply seem to ignore the weight of the equipment they're carrying"? After a quick search, I didn't find it.

One thing to note is that while the 2-1B Medical Droid (core p.197) has a low strength, it doesn't have a medical kit in its possession or systems. One can assume that there is one in the medbay to which it's assigned, and thus doesn't need to carry one. Sure, that limits its usefulness in the field, but perhaps it was not intended as a field medic.

Page 147 Threats of the Galaxy - GH-7 Medical Droid. 6 square hovering speed, 8 strength, medical kit.
Page 103 Force Unleashed - FX-6 Medical Droid, 8 speed wheel, 9 strength, Medkit and surgury kit.
Page 67 Clone Wars - IM-6 Medical Droid, 10 strength, has a surgery kit and medpac reservoir (holds 5 med pacs). While this still fits into the guidelines, this is one of the places where I was questioning the ability to house internally the surgery/medical kits. Reading the description, it mentioned that they carry their own supplies. I also couldn't find anything about a "Medpac reservoir" in any of the books for equipment.
Page 70 Legacy Era - 3Z3 Medical droid, 10 strength, 6 square walking, medkit and 3 medpacs... This one comes close to the load max (25 load, medkit is 20, 3 medpacs are 3 - I'm sure there is over 2 more pounds of equipment on the droid.)
Page 71 Legacy Era - BL-39 Interrogator Droid - 8 str, 1 medkit and 6 squares of hovering.
Page 51 Galaxy at War - A-Series Medical Droid - 8 strength, small droid, med kit, surgical kit, 5 medpacs, 4 movement.

If anyone can figure this out, it's BlackPheonix. I also wanted to point out the Mev-Series Medical Evacuation droid on pg 116 of Scavenger's Guide to Droids. It was the primary droid I was referencing. The interesting thing about it, though, is that all of it's equipment meets it's exact encumbrance. STR 12, can lift 36 KG. It has a medkit (20 kg), surgery kit (10 KG), and six medpacs (1 kg each). But it has a decent amount of weighted systems like durasteel plating and four hand limbs.

This makes me believe that there might have been some intention to make some systems on a droid not count for encumbrance (we don't factor the weight of a wookiee's arm towards his encumbrance, so why should a droid). That the weight of the droid's arms would probably be listed just to find out the droid's weight. If that's the case though, all a gm would have to do is find out where to draw the line as to what should count towards encumbrance and what shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeo2002 View Post
Page 147 Threats of the Galaxy - GH-7 Medical Droid. 6 square hovering speed, 8 strength, medical kit.
Page 103 Force Unleashed - FX-6 Medical Droid, 8 speed wheel, 9 strength, Medkit and surgury kit.
Page 67 Clone Wars - IM-6 Medical Droid, 10 strength, has a surgery kit and medpac reservoir (holds 5 med pacs). While this still fits into the guidelines, this is one of the places where I was questioning the ability to house internally the surgery/medical kits. Reading the description, it mentioned that they carry their own supplies. I also couldn't find anything about a "Medpac reservoir" in any of the books for equipment.
Page 70 Legacy Era - 3Z3 Medical droid, 10 strength, 6 square walking, medkit and 3 medpacs... This one comes close to the load max (25 load, medkit is 20, 3 medpacs are 3 - I'm sure there is over 2 more pounds of equipment on the droid.)
Page 71 Legacy Era - BL-39 Interrogator Droid - 8 str, 1 medkit and 6 squares of hovering.
Page 51 Galaxy at War - A-Series Medical Droid - 8 strength, small droid, med kit, surgical kit, 5 medpacs, 4 movement.
D'oh! I think you just listed every medical droid I didn't check!

I did see the Mev-Series, but didn't notice the armor. I recall a ruling regarding droid encumbrance, but I can't remember if it was for Saga or for the previous version.

I'll take a look. In the meantime, a surgery kit (10kg) can probably be miniaturized using the Scum and Villainy rules. It doesn't solve the medical kit weight issue, but it's a start.

Found it!

Quote:
Source

Q: Do the system components a droid begins play with count against its carrying capacity?

A: Stock models of droids are always assumed to be able to carry their stock equipment unencumbered. If you play a droid, the systems and accessories you buy with your base 1,000 credits are considered to be covered under this clause. Any other equipment encumbers the droid as normal, including after-market modifications.
The medical kit is 600 credits, so it can fall under that clause. Unfortunately, the surgery kit is 1000 credits, so you have to choose which one will be "weightless". However, as I said before, you can miniaturize the surgery kit for an extra 500 credits and it will weight half (5 kg).

In the case of the Mev, use this rule to ignore the weight of the medical kit, which leaves 12kg for the armor, 10kg for the surgery kit, and 6kg for the medpacs, for a total of 28kg, which falls well within the 36kg limit of a strength score of 12.

Good enough?

I don't know how the standard droids are built but I can suggest two things for getting more carrying capacity for a custom one.
First, a large size creature has x2 capacity.
Second, a four-legged creature has x2 capacity. This one I would consider house-ruling to include tracked/wheeled/hovering droids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gygaxphobia View Post
Second, a four-legged creature has x2 capacity.
x1.5 actually. See Extra Legs in core p.189.