Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 94 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

Hexograph maker is a good one. the free edition has all you need for large scale maps of the world. looks retro and old fashioned though. to me that's a selling point.

I'm playing World of Darkness well running it um I know the system from playing it as a player but don't own the book I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to run it. And I'm not having any problems but one thing has come up. Are high numbers common? A guy got 2 fourteens and the latest roll was a massive 48.

Campaign building:

Is it ok when building a campaign from scratch for the first time to play in PbP, to just create a list of towns, villages and other sites and then list underneath them NPC names, events and encounters that may happen, leaving descriptions and details to when the players actually get there?

I've been struggling with creating a campaign because I want to have things ready for the players and I just get consumed by the amount of stuff I know is missing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnWolf View Post
I'm playing World of Darkness well running it um I know the system from playing it as a player but don't own the book I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to run it. And I'm not having any problems but one thing has come up. Are high numbers common? A guy got 2 fourteens and the latest roll was a massive 48.
Sadly, I don't remember.

I don't believe so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4yne View Post
Campaign building:

Is it ok when building a campaign from scratch for the first time to play in PbP, to just create a list of towns, villages and other sites and then list underneath them NPC names, events and encounters that may happen, leaving descriptions and details to when the players actually get there?
Sure. I actually did that when I first started out - only I listed events under town names, and included dates.

Quote:
I've been struggling with creating a campaign because I want to have things ready for the players and I just get consumed by the amount of stuff I know is missing...
Sure, I get that. However, you wont be able to predict everything - sadly.

Never fear though, there are a great deal of random generators online. In fact, if you know any code at all, there is a great program called TableSmith that you can DL for free.

It has a great deal of random tables that you can download pre-generated, and there is even a yahoo group. You can generate event seeds and other stuff from it. I use it all the time.

It randomly came up with the idea of a secret society that abducts people, makes them play with a deck of many things, and then the society in advance bets upon who will come out with the best result. I had great fun doing that with my last set of players.

One of the great virtues of PbP as a medium is that, when asked a question or for further exposition by a player, you have time to respond. At a real tabletop, you're put on the spot and have to think of something to fill in the gap right away. On a forum based, slower-paced platform you can take some time to respond and come up with a good answer/expanded content/roll some random tables.

Quote:
Campaign building:

The trick is to spend your time making a random table to help you generate sites on the fly.
Even in my irl game I'll just tell players "I don't know much about this area yet,so there'll be more stuff here next session. In the mean time what I do know is that there's a problem with X here and everybody's buzzing about it in the village."
Having some stuff prepared that you can slap down just anywhere is very useful in this regard, I've got a stack of one page dungeons ready in case people wander off the beaten track. They rarely wander around without purpose, but it's good to have stuff to hand in case they do.

Quote:
Just remember that the players don't know what is missing. To them the world is full and real. Even if you fill in stuff just as they are encountering it, it seems like it was there all the time to them!

Ain't DMing great?

Not that I ever do that! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester430 View Post
Just remember that the players don't know what is missing. To them the world is full and real. Even if you fill in stuff just as they are encountering it, it seems like it was there all the time to them!

Ain't DMing great?

Not that I ever do that! :P
Oh yes you do.
That is why I like to throw you curve balls, to keep you honest and humble about how much you are not prepared for.